what are parenthesis in formulas?

  1. #1
    ann
    Guest

    what are parenthesis in formulas?

    I have a formula: =(h24*j24)+(h25*j25)/sum(h24:25)

    But I have no idea how many parentheses I am suppose to place around the
    formula or what additional ones I need other than the one that surround the
    indivudual formula.

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: WHAT ARE PARENTHESIS IN FORMULAS?

    The SUM(H24:H25) if that is what you meant is a function
    and sums the cells in the range.

    The rest of the parens (parentheses) can be used to change
    the order of operations. Since multiplication and division take
    place before additions and subtractions they don't really matter here.

    The formulas are like what you use in algebra.
    See your Excel Help for "order of operation" or specifically
    "about calculation operators".

    Also look at "functions" in your Excel help.
    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: WHAT ARE PARENTHESIS IN FORMULAS?

    The order or precedence in Excel is raised to a power, multiply/divide,
    add/subtract

    Your formula therefore is saying Divide (H25*J25) by SUM(H24:H25) *then* add
    (H24*J24).

    I assume that you actually want to work out (H24*J24) add (H25*J25) then
    divide the answer by SUM(H24:H25) if so try:

    =(H24*J24+H25*J25)/SUM(H24:H25)

    Note that you don't need extra brackets in the (H24*J24+H25*J25) because of
    the precedence of how Excel will do the calculations - Multiplication first
    then addition.

    Sandy

    [email protected]
    [email protected] with @tiscali.co.uk