force a macro to execute

  1. #1
    Valeria
    Guest

    force a macro to execute

    Dear experts,
    is there a way I can force users to enable macros when they open a certain
    workbook, or at least provoke a warning message if they disable them?
    Thanks!
    Best regards,
    --
    Valeria

  2. #2
    Robin Hammond
    Guest

    Re: force a macro to execute

    Valeria,

    No, there is no way to force enabling of macros. But...

    Hide all the sheet in the workbook except for a single sheet with a warning
    in large text that the workbook won't work unless macros are enabled, and
    unhide the remaining sheets and hide the warning in an auto_open macro.

    Robin Hammond
    www.enhanceddatasystems.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: force a macro to execute

    Valeria,

    If you add a macro called Auto_Open, that runs when you open a workbook.

    On the other point, the most common way of handling that is to have a
    worksheet that puts up a message about disabling macros, and then hide all
    other sheets. In your auto-open macro, hide this sheet and unhide the rest.
    If they disable macros, they will see this sheet, if they don't, they will
    not. Not foolproof, b ut a technique.

    -------

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    Valeria
    Guest

    Re: force a macro to execute

    Thanks!
    It works very well...
    just for curiosity: searching the posts, I have also found as an option the
    digital certificate, so that basically users will be prompted only once to
    enable macros written by you.
    With the premises that I do not know anything about this subject, is it
    something you would also suggest?
    Thanks!
    Valeria

  5. #5
    Robin Hammond
    Guest

    Re: force a macro to execute

    It's a possible solution if you think that your users will be prepared to
    trust all your macros, and it can make life easier for you with your own
    code. You need to look for SelfCert.exe from memory. It should be in your
    office folder.

    Alternatively, you can put your code in an add-in, and once the user has
    elected to load the add-in the macro warning on that file won't be shown.

  6. #6
    Valeria
    Guest

    Re: force a macro to execute

    Hi,
    I have looked for the SelfCert.exe file but I can;'t find it, neither in my
    office folder, nor in my whole C drive. Is this normal? Do I need to import
    it from somewhere?
    Thanks!
    Valeria

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: force a macro to execute

    What version of Excel. You would need xl2000 or later. Also, when
    installing office, there are installation options and everything is not
    installed by default.

    See this for a more complete answer:

    OFF2000: Using SelfCert to Create a Digital Certificate for VBA Projects

    Tom Ogilvy

  8. #8
    Valeria
    Guest

    Re: force a macro to execute

    Hi,
    I am running Excel 2002 under Windows XP. I have re-run the installation
    process to find the SelfCert.exe file, but anywhere I look I can't find it,
    even as explained on the microsoft link in the "add/remove" programs...
    Thanks
    Valeria

  9. #9
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: force a macro to execute

    Here is one specific to xl2002/Office XP

    Maybe that will make a difference.

    Tom Ogilvy

  10. #10
    Valeria
    Guest

    Re: force a macro to execute

    Hi Tom,
    this has really made the difference, it works now, thank you very much!
    Kind regards,
    Valeria