Inserting Lines:What they want is an Excel routine

  1. #1

    Inserting Lines:What they want is an Excel routine

    Question

    My boss wants Excel to automate the data coming out of MS Access. They
    have a listing of claims per month; each with a labor code and an Area
    code; labor code 123456789 could be a (area code)External Trim item;
    labor code 234567889 could be a Chassis (area code) item; etc.

    What they want is an Excel routine that, when it downloads from the
    Access database, sorts all of the claims by area code; Chassis,
    External Trim, etc'; inserts three blank lines between each grouping of
    all the claims within a given area code, subtotals all the claims
    within a given area code, then, puts the gross totals of the top 10
    area codes on another spreadsheet, to allow the boss to type a few
    lines of text on what they are doing to fix it.

    They insist it be done in Excel; I said Crystal Reports or Access could
    probably do it easier, but I dont know neither Crystal Reports, nor
    Access

    Ideas?
    Replies to the newsgroup please; I no longer use this email address...

  2. #2
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    re: Inserting Lines:What they want is an Excel routine

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Question
    >
    > My boss wants Excel to automate the data coming out of MS Access. They
    > have a listing of claims per month; each with a labor code and an Area
    > code; labor code 123456789 could be a (area code)External Trim item;
    > labor code 234567889 could be a Chassis (area code) item; etc.
    >
    > What they want is an Excel routine that, when it downloads from the
    > Access database, sorts all of the claims by area code; Chassis,
    > External Trim, etc'; inserts three blank lines between each grouping of
    > all the claims within a given area code, subtotals all the claims
    > within a given area code, then, puts the gross totals of the top 10
    > area codes on another spreadsheet, to allow the boss to type a few
    > lines of text on what they are doing to fix it.
    >
    > They insist it be done in Excel; I said Crystal Reports or Access could
    > probably do it easier, but I dont know neither Crystal Reports, nor
    > Access
    >
    > Ideas?
    > Replies to the newsgroup please; I no longer use this email address...

    You could run a SQL query directly from Excel which would give you the data
    exactly as you want it.

    /fredrik