Excel 2003 Subtotal order and grouping incorrect in SP1

  1. #1
    Adam Platt
    Guest

    Excel 2003 Subtotal order and grouping incorrect in SP1

    I'm using Microsoft Visual Foxpro 8.0 to generate an excel-based report which
    uses the subtotal function. After installing Excel2003 SP1, the subtotals no
    longer order or group correctly.
    Where the total rows should read something like:

    Total 2
    Total 1
    Grand Total

    They instead read like:

    Total 1
    Total 2
    Grand Total

    Also, the data is not grouped by Total 2. Where on the left hand side there
    should be a tree-type view where data can be collapsed/expanded, The total
    line for Total 2 is not groupable.

    Many other people have had this problem, and there have been two definitive
    fixes pointed to:
    1. Install the following hotfix
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833855

    2. Add a DWORD value of 1 called Excel97Subtotals into the registry key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\office\11\excel\options

    I have tried both, and only had success with editing the registry.
    Unfortunately, I need to use a fix that can be mass distributed and applied
    by users that have very little computer knowledge. Has anyone else tried the
    Microsoft hotfix for this issue and still had a problem? Are there any known
    issues about this hotfix?

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 Subtotal order and grouping incorrect in SP1

    I encounter the problem for the first time about a month ago and the answer
    was the registry entry you cite. One way or the other you have to get that
    entry made on the users' machines. Here's code that will do it:

    Sub RegWriteXL97Subtotals()
    Dim wsh As Object
    Set wsh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    wsh.RegWrite
    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options\Excel97Subtotals", 1,
    "REG_DWORD"

    Jim Rech
    Excel MVP
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 Subtotal order and grouping incorrect in SP1

    Does anyone know if there will be another Excel 2003 hotfix or Service
    Pack in the future that will resolve the Subtotaling problems?

    Anyone who studies this issue carefully, and experiments, will realize
    that even after all the hotfixes, service packs, registry hacks, etc.,
    Subtotaling still does not work correctly in all cases.

    A prime example is when your data has "breaks" (groups) that contain
    only one row.