application.calculation is slow: mouse clicks speed it up...

  1. #1
    Noel McWilliam
    Guest

    application.calculation is slow: mouse clicks speed it up...

    Hi Everyone,

    My calculation event takes some time to complete - other than change the
    worksheet formulae, is there any way of speeding it up. (I've noticed
    that if I left click when executing it seems to complete MUCH more quickly.
    Why is this?)

    Thanks kindly in advance

  2. #2
    ben
    Guest

    RE: application.calculation is slow: mouse clicks speed it up...

    what is your calculation event? what are you attempting to do?

  3. #3
    noel mcwilliam
    Guest

    RE: application.calculation is slow: mouse clicks speed it up...

    Just to refresh the worksheet formulae - which are as they should be, the
    only real problem is the *size* of the database and the necessary repition of
    some of the calculations (see below). I can't really change the formulae,
    that is why I was wondering eactly WHY mouse clicking would seem to speed
    their recalculation up!

    FYI:
    The database is structured like a bank statement having a summary header and
    in each record a name, an amount, a running total (of the amounts) and a
    date.

    In each row (containing the main data) there are two formulae:
    i) to calculate the running total (thisTotal = thisAmount + lastTotal) [this
    is an expensive calculation as it is repeated for each record...I need to
    keep this]

    ii) to calculate the "age" of the record (age = days360(today() - thisDate))

    On the header I have references to values in the cells in the last row of
    the workbook that need to be refreshed.

  4. #4
    ben
    Guest

    RE: application.calculation is slow: mouse clicks speed it up...

    Do you have automatic calculation on, or are you using manual calculation, do
    you have more than worksheet or do you have several? if you have several it
    is possible, pressing hte mouse button may be only caculating the active
    sheet rather than the entire workbook. as does shift+F9