Simple? Formatting Question

  1. #1
    John Baker
    Guest

    Simple? Formatting Question

    Hi:

    I have a numeric cell, which I wish to always show as three digits (001 for example). I
    find that I don't know how to do that, and there is no simple "Format" command as there is
    in Access! Can someone give me a pointer? The problem is that the cell has to be
    incremented in the processing, since it represents a sub sequence number which ultimately
    becomes unique key.

    Thanks in advance

    John Baker

  2. #2
    John Baker
    Guest

    Re: Simple? Formatting Question

    Hi Again:

    I should have added that the field in question is being concatenated with other fields to
    produce the unique key. Hence I need something that will LOCK the format TO THREE DIGITS
    when I concatenate.

    John

  3. #3
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Simple? Formatting Question

    Hi John,

    Use a custom format of 000

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Simple? Formatting Question

    =Right(A1&B1&C1,3)*1

    or use Left.

    then format as posted.

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Simple? Formatting Question

    select the cell

    format=>Cells=>Number Tab,
    Go to Custom
    Enter

    Tom Ogilvy

  6. #6
    John Baker
    Guest

    Re: Simple? Formatting Question

    Thank you Tom

  7. #7
    Jamie Collins

    John Baker wrote:

    > there is no simple "Format" command as there is
    > in Access!

    Are you sure MS Access has a Format command? VBA has Format and Format$
    functions but then Excel shares the same VBA library as MS Access. Jet
    has Format and Format$ functions, basically a re-implementation of the
    equivalent VBA5 functions, but then Excel is a Jet data source too.
    Some of the MS Access Forms controls have a Format property, is *this*
    what you mean?

    Jamie.