Cannot edit workbooks saved to CD

  1. #1
    BP
    Guest

    Cannot edit workbooks saved to CD

    Every time I save my workbooks to CD, they become read-only on the CD even
    though thats not what I saved them as. I cannot change the status because it
    says "access denied" when I attempt to change the file saved on CD. How can
    I save my workbooks to CD so that I can edit and continue to work with them?

  2. #2
    Rob van Gelder
    Guest

    Re: Cannot edit workbooks saved to CD

    In my experience, all files written to CDROM (inlcuding rewritables) have
    the read-only attribute set.

    Excel sees this attribute and flags the workbook read-only.

    You would have to copy the file to a writable device (such as C: drive)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    BP
    Guest

    Re: Cannot edit workbooks saved to CD

    Thanks Rob for taking the time. As you can tell, I don't really know what
    I'm doing. All I really need to know is how I can save the very large excel
    file to a disk or CD or whatever so I can use it on other computers. What
    kind of disk or CD do I need to save it so its functional? If you could walk
    me through what I need to do like a 2 year old, i would greatly appreciate it.

  4. #4
    Hari
    Guest

    Re: Cannot edit workbooks saved to CD

    Hi BP,

    As per Rob, probably one cannot update or save in to CDROM/CDRW directly.
    So first save it in to your C: drive (let's say desktop).
    Then write the saved excel file in to your CDROM/CDRW etc.

    Follow the above process each time you want to save/update your excel files
    in to CDROM/CDRW
    --
    Thanks a lot,
    Hari

  5. #5
    Mike Fogleman
    Guest

    Re: Cannot edit workbooks saved to CD

    Think of the CD as merely a way to transport the file from your home hard
    drive to your work hard drive. If you create the file at home on your hard
    drive, then copy it to the CD. When you take the CD to work, copy it from
    the CD to your work hard drive. Open the file copy on the hard drive to work
    on it. After you are done at work, copy the changed file back to the CD to
    take home.
    Mike F