When workbook is reopened, macros are disabled

  1. #1
    Marjie
    Guest

    When workbook is reopened, macros are disabled

    I have just created a macro in an excel workbook. I recorded the macro, named
    it, was able to edit it and run it. However, when I close the workbook and
    then open it again, my macro has become disabled. I get an error message
    which says:
    The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help of
    the host application to determine how to enable macros. I am concerned that
    I caused a problem as I was trying to create an open event macro. I created
    a macro that I called Workbook_Open. Would this be why I am having problems.
    I started over with a new workbook, but I'm getting the same problems.

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: When workbook is reopened, macros are disabled

    Hi Marjie

    this is because by default security settings in ver 2002 and 2003 are set to
    high (or very high). so unless you change the security settings you can
    create and test macros, but when you close and then reopen the workbook you
    can't use them any more.

    to change the security settings, choose tools / macros / security and set it
    to medium. now upon opening a workbook with macros you will be prompted as
    to whether or not you want to enable or disable them. If you know who the
    book came from and you're happy for macros to run choose enable, otherwise
    choose disable.

    hope this helps
    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Craig Freeman
    Guest

    Re: When workbook is reopened, macros are disabled

    Marjie,

    It's probably your security settings are set to high.

    Assuming XL2000, select tools - marco - security - medium
    Cheers,
    Craig Freeman

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: When workbook is reopened, macros are disabled

    Sounds like you security is set to High in Tools=>Macro=>Security
    '
    Set it to medium.

    Generally you don't call a workbook_open event. You define the event in the
    ThisWorkbook Module of the workbook and the action of opening the workbook
    causes it to fire.

    Chip Pearson's page on event.s

    Tom Ogilvy