Change negative sign from end of number to the beginning of the number.

  1. #1
    GORDON SCALES via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Change negative sign from end of number to the beginning of the number.

    I need to scan financial reports to a file so that I can then manipulate
    columns of figures. I can do this using an OCR program and saving as an
    Excel file.

    The reports have the negative sign at the end of the number but Excel
    requiires it at the begiinning.

    eg: 1234.56- needs to convert to -1234.56

    Is there a way that I can convert a whole column

  2. #2
    gocush
    Guest

    RE: Change negative sign from end of number to the beginning of the nu

    Does this work for you:

    Sub ConvertNeg()
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim oCell As Range

    Set rng = Range("B1:B100")
    For Each oCell In rng
    If Right(oCell, 1) = "-" Then
    oCell = Left(oCell, Len(oCell) - 1) * -1
    End If
    Next
    Set rng = Nothing
    End Sub

  3. #3
    Neil
    Guest

    Re: Change negative sign from end of number to the beginning of the number.

    Gordon,

    Try this, you will have to change the sheet and range to suit your data.

    Sub ChangeMinus()
    'changes the minus sing on the right of the number
    'which is actually shown as text to the left
    'so that it becomes a negative number
    Dim checkRange As Range
    Dim Cell As Range
    Set checkRange = Sheets(2).Range("D:I")
    For Each Cell In checkRange
    If Right(Cell.Value, 1) = "-" And Left(Cell.Value, 1) <> "-" Then
    Cell.Value = "-" &
    Application.WorksheetFunction.Substitute(Cell.Value, "-", " ")
    End If
    Next
    End Sub

    Regards
    Neil

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    GORDON SCALES via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    RE: Change negative sign from end of number to the beginning of the nu

    thanks guys,