How do I plot a scatter plot in 3 axies?

  1. #1
    banderson
    Guest

    How do I plot a scatter plot in 3 axies?

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: How do I plot a scatter plot in 3 axies?

    You don't - at least, not with any built-in Excel chart options. Probably
    because a 3D scatter plot would be pretty tough to read: hard to tell exactly
    where a point is when projected from a 3D "world" onto a 2D chart. I have
    found a way to "fake" a 3D scatter plot (but with limitations) if you are
    interested: Make it a 3D column chart. Turn the data labels on and set it
    to "show labels" (and with the label alignment make sure they are centered).
    Then for each data series, set the area and border options for the columns to
    "off". The columns are now invisible and you see your labels sitting on top
    of the points - in other words, they act pretty much like the data markers.
    By using a symbolic font, like Wingdings or Webdings, you can have different
    "marker" styles. But it is not a very accurate representation, plus there
    are no options for lines or anything, and (as I said above) it really is hard
    to visualize the points in 3D.

    Sorry - best I could do...
    K Dales

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How do I plot a scatter plot in 3 axies?

    The 3D charting capabilities of Excel are restricted to category axes. The
    best you would be able to do is furnish z-values for the evenly spaced X
    and Y values.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "banderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I plot a scatter plot in 3 axies?

    There are workarounds, though. A noteworthy one is Andy Pope's 3D
    Scatter chart:

    http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm

    - Jon
    -------