Inserting Hyperlink

  1. #1
    Jim
    Guest

    Inserting Hyperlink

    I have an access 2000 database that contains CompanyID, Company Name, and URL

    I have an Excel spreadsheet from another source that has CompanyID, and some
    other misc info.

    How can I program a macro to search the CompanyID in Access and create the
    hyperlink on CompanyID in Excel?

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Inserting Hyperlink

    Hi Jim

    where are you putting the hyperlink information - in a field in the access
    table?

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Inserting Hyperlink

    And given where you are putting it, where does it go when clicked.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jim
    Guest

    Re: Inserting Hyperlink

    Yes, the URL is a field in Access.

  5. #5
    Jim
    Guest

    Re: Inserting Hyperlink

    THe URL is a FIELD in Access. I would like it to "activate" the CompanyID in
    Excel as a Hyperlink.

    THanks!

  6. #6
    Jim
    Guest

    Re: Inserting Hyperlink

    It is the URL of the Company. eg. http://www.microsoft.com

    So in the access database we have

    COMPANYID, COMPANYNAME, URL
    0007, Microsoft Corp, http://www.miscrosoft.com

    In Excell (which is generated from another Database we have a sheet that has
    has a column of CompanyID, with several columns of misc data.
    eg.
    0007, June, July, etc

    I would like the 0007 to continued to be the text displayed in Excel and to
    be a hyperlink to the company (Using the URL stored in Access).

  7. #7
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Inserting Hyperlink

    Hi Jim

    one way to approach this would be to use range names in excel for each of
    the companyIDs and then in the access field create an entry that
    concatenates the file name & path with the company ID into the hyperlink
    field - this will probably have to be done via code (i'm not sure how to do
    this - but maybe a post in microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted will get
    you the code).

    - BTW this seems to work manually - but i'm guessing you don't want to do it
    this way.

  8. #8
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Inserting Hyperlink

    You can find out how to make a URL that opens to a specific location in
    Excel by opening two workbooks, then recording a macro while you Insert a
    hyperlink in one of the workbooks and direct it to a specific location in
    the other excel workbook. Then turn off the recorder.

    You can then modify this to include a path to the file. The rest sounds
    like Access programming of which I have no knowledge.

    Tom Ogilvy