Analyzing Text file records in VBA without importing into Excel spreadsheet

  1. #1
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Analyzing Text file records in VBA without importing into Excel spreadsheet

    How do you analysze data in a text file without importing
    it into Excel. Does it have to be pulled directly into an
    array in VBA? Or can you analyize the text file itself?

    I have a text file. I want to:
    1) Identify Number of Fields (i.e. columns)
    2) Identify Number of records (i.e. rows)
    3) Collect stats on the records by fields (Sum, Average,
    Count etc)

    However I do not know how to reference the fields and
    records in a text file. And since I do not want to pull
    this directly into Excel, I can't record the macro either.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Analyzing Text file records in VBA without importing into Excel sp

    No you do not have to pull the data into Excel. In the help menu look up
    Input, FreeFile and Split. That should be a good start, sssuming that you are
    reasonably competent with VB... If you are not comfortable with the VB then
    you will have to import the file...

    HTH