populate a validation List?

  1. #1
    HotRod
    Guest

    populate a validation List?

    1) I've managed to populate a validation list based on data from another
    Worksheet but I'm wondering if it's possible to populate a list from data in
    VBA?

    2) Is there another way to create a dropdown list in every cell in all of
    Column B with data from VBA?

    3) Is there a way to pass my own AutoComplete data to excel from VBA instead
    of it looking at the above cells in the column?

    THANKS in advance for the ideas

    P.S. I'm trying to find a creative way to first select a parent from a list
    (data on Worksheet1) and then in the next column list the children
    registered to that parent.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: populate a validation List?

    You can create dependent data validation lists. There are instructions here:

    Although data validation doesn't support autocomplete, there's a sample
    file here that provides a combobox from which you can select one of the
    values from the data validation list. In the combobox, you can enable
    autocomplete:

    Under 'Data Validation', look for 'Data Validation Combobox'

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    HotRod
    Guest

    Re: populate a validation List?

    This would work except that as far as I know you can't create one Validation
    list that is dependent on another validation list unless you give the range
    a "name" that matches the values in the other validation list. In my case I
    can't manually go through and create a name for every new child and parent
    relationship. Any other ideas?