Import Access data into Excel - Looking for programmer

  1. #1
    Harry
    Guest

    Import Access data into Excel - Looking for programmer

    Hello All.

    I need some advice or paid help from someone in the business of doing the type
    of work referred to in the Subject line.

    I have a spreadhsheet, very complex with VB scripting. I did not produce it.
    It came from a branch of government running a Tribunal that deals with landlord
    and tenant disputes in Ontario, Canada. By filling in the various data fields
    in the first of the 40 worksheets (the sheet’s labeled DATA), you then hit a
    button and it exports the data to one of the other sheets based on which of
    their 30 forms you are trying to produce, and it writes to the cells in the
    other sheet in a format needed to create an fdf file. Adobe then opens up,
    grabs the data in the proper fdf format from the proper worksheet (depending on
    the form you’re producing) and imports the data into the editable pdf form.
    It’s quite nice, and allows lawyers and paralegals who do a lot of applications
    to this quasi-judicial Tribunal to produce professional looking PDF forms from
    the excel data file. They can then print them, or fax them, or send them in as
    PDFs to the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal.

    Here’s my problem. On the first sheet, the main data sheet with over 800 rows,
    the applicant infomation needs to be entered every time I do a form, a notice of
    termination, an application for termination, an affidavit of service, a motion
    for setting aside a judgement, etc. It’s a pain to enter the applicant
    information each time. The applicants are my clients, and I have about 200 of
    them at any given timem mostly repeat customers.

    I’d like to creatre an Access database, or Filemaker database, or even another
    Excel sheet, to keep track of my clients who will eventually be applicants for
    the purpose of the spreadsheet. There are 17 fields for "Applicant" in the
    spreadsheet. I would rather enter my clients into Access (which I hate) or
    Filemaker, or worst case, another Excel sheet (using a spreadsheet to do the job
    of a database sucks) and import the PROPER client info when creating a new form
    in the complicated spreadsheet rather than re-keying it each time I create a
    form.

    I’d like to do it as follows. When I come to the first of the 17 "Applicant"
    fields on the "Data" sheet of the Tribunal’s worksheet, I’d like to run a macro
    (or something) or have it ask me without doing anything, which client I’d like
    to import. I’d like it to present me with a pull-down list so I could scroll
    through and pick the Client Name from the database, click on it, and all 17
    fields in the Access or Filemaker or Excel file would be imported into the
    appropriate fields in that worksheet. I’d also be able to decline selecting one
    of the existing records (if it’s a new client) and enter the 17 fields manually
    into the big Excel Tribunal sheet, and then have it ask me if I would like to
    create a new record in my Access or Filemaker database (or Excel spreadsheet).

    The agent information fields (that’s me) can be filled in on the big
    spreadsheet permanently and saved, since the agent never changes. But the
    clients change each time, and it’s a pain to type all that stuff in, when I
    typed the same client in the week before. The respondent information (the
    person the action is being filed against) is new every time, so I have no choice
    but to enter those names every time.

    Thanks

    Harry

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: Import Access data into Excel - Looking for programmer

    Hello Harry:

    You can definitely do this with Access (I agree, Access is not my favorite
    app... (sorry MS)), and might be able to do same with Filemaker if it has
    ODBC driver (I don't use it so can't say for sure, but becoming a common
    feature. ODBC = Open Database Connectivity, Windows standard for data
    access...). And there are a few different ways to go about it. The
    SQL.REQUEST function might do the trick since you will only be working on one
    record at a time. MSQuery is a little easier to set up and use, but it would
    only be good for reading in data, not for creating a new record if the
    applicant does not yet exist. The next step up would be to use ADO to write
    VBA routines that can run SQL commands on your database - this gives complete
    flexibility, within the limits of SQL, to read or update data. Another way
    would be to use Automation to start Access running from within Excel and
    control the session using VBA code.

    All of these have their pros/cons. All methods except MSQuery would require
    knowledge of ODBC and SQL, and the last two would require advanced VBA
    knowledge. Not sure what your knowledge level is in these. If interested in
    discussing, contact me at this address (which I have modified to avoid spam):
    kgdcc(-at-)westelcom(-dot-)com.

    K Dales
    (P.S. though I live in New York State, I have some Ontario in my blood:
    grandfather came from there, Orillia area)