digital signing for authenticode

  1. #1
    Eric
    Guest

    digital signing for authenticode

    I customized a spreadsheet I want all users on my project to use.

    I'm not in IT and my IT dept. is just a bit lame in getting me an answer as
    to exactly what I must do to let my vba workbook run without forcing users
    to lower their security or be asked every time if they trust the thing to
    run macros. From what research I've been able to do, it seems their are
    certificates you can buy from thawte or verisign that do this, but I'm still
    confused. Can anyone tell me:
    1) the cheapest signature I can get that will do what I'm looking for
    2) tell me how to tell IT to make it available
    3) how I make code updates to the spreadsheet (I tried emailing just the
    modules to the office, but that didn't get far

    Why is this so damn confusing?? Is there a guide that explains this clearly
    with less than a half hour of effort??

    A zillion thanks for help!

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: digital signing for authenticode

    I guess it is complex because the people who are the reason you need the
    certificates in the first place invest more than 30 minutes figuring out how
    to rock your world.

    Here is some additional information.

    Note that certification only works in Excel 2000 and later. Even
    with certification, the user has accept you as a trusted source the first
    time they open the file. See the article on Self Cert as an alternative
    often suggested here.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../odc_dsvba.asp
    Code Signing Office XP Visual Basic for Applications Macro Projects

    XL2002: About Digital Signatures in Excel Workbooks

    http://support.microsoft.com/?KBID=206637
    OFF2000: Overview of Digital Certificates (Q206637)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?KBID=217221
    OFF2000: Using SelfCert to Create a Digital Certificate for VBA Projects
    (Q217221)

    An Overview:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tml/combat.asp

    Another reference:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...vbaproject.asp

    OFFXP: How to Make Sure That Your Office Document Has a Valid Digital
    Signature

    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...ustworthy.aspx
    How to Tell if Digital Certificate Is Trustworthy in Office XP

    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...