save and restore "Workbook Menu Bar" & "Cell" menus

  1. #1
    Jeff Higgins
    Guest

    save and restore "Workbook Menu Bar" & "Cell" menus

    I have a workbook where I have overridden several of the CommandBarButtons on
    the standard "Workbook Menu Bar" and "Cell" CommandBars.

    I have taken the drastic measure of resetting "Workbook Menu Bar" and "Cell"
    CommandBars prior to making my changes and then resetting again in the
    Workbook_Deactivate sub. I've taken this measure to prevent errors if for
    some reason the particular CommandBarButtons that I'm changing are Nothing or
    Not Enabled etc. This of coarse wipes out any customizations my users might
    have made to their Menus, probably making them not happy.

    I would like to somehow save the state of the "Workbook Menu Bar" and "Cell"
    CommandBars on entry to my workbook and then restore it on
    Workbook_Deactivate but I cannot figure out how.

    Can someone tell me how to accomplish this?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: save and restore "Workbook Menu Bar" & "Cell" menus

    http://groups.google.co.uk/advanced_group_search?hl=en

    If you destroy customizations made by another application, there will be no
    way to restore them if they used customized icons - well, it would be very
    involved. Why not leave things along and test what you want to change to see
    if it will cause problems. And when Excel crashes before your code
    restores things? I would look at disabling and adding to rather than
    removing or destroying. That is how excel operates.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jeff Higgins
    Guest

    Re: save and restore "Workbook Menu Bar" & "Cell" menus

    Tom,
    Thanks again for excellent advice. Of course you are right in advising me to
    rethink the way I'm doing this. I'm busy now writing a bunch of If Then tests
    and will use the disable/add paradigm rather than slash & burn.

    Thanks also for the link, a search on: save restore excel menus, produced a
    plethora of links that reinforced exactly your advice.

    Appreciate the help,
    Jeff Higgins