Trying to match fields and return a value

  1. #1
    Jamie
    Guest

    Trying to match fields and return a value

    We have a project here that requires some matching of cells and I am not sure
    the proper function to use. Here is the problem:

    We are trying to match errors in firewall logs to see who is causing
    problems on the network. So on Worksheet1 I have a column of names, IP
    addresses, and MAC addresses. On worksheet2 I have a list of computer names,
    IP addresses, viruses detected, and MAC addresses. What I want to do is
    create a new worksheet (worksheet3) that will look at the first 2 sheets and
    create a sheet that matches MAC addresses on sheets 1 and 2. The third sheet
    should allow me to match a name to MAC address, so on worksheet 3 I would
    like to have the following columns(and where data comes from):
    Name(worksheet1), IP Address(worksheet2), Computer name(worksheet2), MAC
    address(on both sheets, need to match), and number of viruses(worksheet2).
    Any thoughts on which formula to use??

    --
    Jamie
    MCP, Net+, A+

  2. #2

    Re: Trying to match fields and return a value

    Once you get your key column into that third worksheet, it sounds like you'd
    want to use =vlookup() or =index(match())

    And Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions (for both) at:

    and

    And if that list of MAC addresses is different on each sheet, you may want to
    copy from one worksheet, then copy from the second worksheet (right below
    it--creating a giant list with some duplicates).

    You can get rid of those duplicates by using data|Filter|advanced filter.

    Debra also has instructions for that at:
    http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR