Newbie Problem

  1. #1

    Question Newbie Problem

    I'm sure this is an easy one for all the experts, but I'm just learning this stuff and have racked my brains and can't figure out an easy way....

    On Sheet 1, Column B I have up to 200 names ("B1:B200"), many name repeats.
    also on sheet 1, Column E, I have earnings ("E1:E200") beside their names

    What I need to do is:

    On Sheet 2: copy the individual names (just once) and add all their earnings together for a total earned.

    Thanks in advance for the help

    Buddy

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Newbie Problem

    You can go to Sheet2 in the upper left corner where you want the results,
    then do data=>Filter=>Advanced filter. Excel may complain, but press on.
    In the dialog, designate copy to a new location and select the upper left
    corner for your output. then In the dialog designate Column B of sheet1
    (alone) as the data source. You can leave criteria blank. In the lower
    left corner of the dialog, select unique values. Now click OK. this should
    give you a unique list. Let's assume it starts in C2. In D2 you can do

    =Countif(Sheet1!B:B,C2,Sheet1!E:E)

    then drag fill this down next to your column.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Newbie Problem

    Hi Buddy

    Unless there is a good reason to summarise the information on another sheet,
    this sounds like a job for subtotals.

    Open help and search for "Overview of subtotals in lists". It will explain
    the concept far better than I could.
    If you find yourself struggling or need to do it another way, just ask.

    HTH
    Steve

  4. #4

    Almost there

    Tom and Steve

    Thanks for the auto filter Tom got the unique list just like I wanted. However, I am using this formula in Sheet 2 cell 2 for the results in b2
    =Countif(team payout!B:B,b2,team payout!E:E)

    Team Payout is sheet 1 in my original post.

    I get the error message "I've entered too many aruguments for this function" I've looked over your example and see not mistakes.

    Ideas???
    Once again

    Thanks

    Buddy