Chart with dynamic x-axis names

  1. #1
    Jon
    Guest

    Chart with dynamic x-axis names

    All,
    This is a repost. I put it in excel.charts earlier and wasn't getting
    much of a response. Let's see how it goes here....

    I am creating a chart which is based on multiple columns worth of data.
    The problem is that the amount of rows changes and I have to be able to
    handle that programmaticaly. In other words, if the amount of rows was
    constant somewhere in my sub I would have something like:

    ..Chart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("NameGoesHere").Range("A2:A5, F2:H5")

    'where the Range A2:A5 contains names that goes to label the X-axis.
    'And F2:H5 represents the data for each name in A2:A5. No problem.

    However, I need that range to vary. I was hoping something like this would
    work:

    .Chart.ChartWizard
    Source:=Worksheets(xlSheet(I).Name).Range(xlSheet(I).Cells(2,
    1):xlSheet(I).Cells(z, 1), xlSheet(I).Cells(2, 6):xlSheet(I).Cells(z, 8))

    'where z is an integer which calculated the number of rows needed. Problem.
    'Didn't work

    As you can see I tried to mimic the form used for static data but failed
    miserably. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Clear as mud? Thanks in
    advance.

  2. #2
    Mika
    Guest

    Re: Chart with dynamic x-axis names

    Hi,

    See this excelent articlefrom J. Peltier

    rg
    Mika

  3. #3
    Jon
    Guest

    Re: Chart with dynamic x-axis names

    article Thank you, but I am using VB to code this. I read that previously,
    but I can't just enter formulas in the spreadsheet. A macro will be used,
    and everytime it is run it will wipe the page. Of course, I may just be
    missing the big picture here...

  4. #4
    Jon
    Guest

    Re: Chart with dynamic x-axis names

    Thank you, but I am using VB to code this. I read that article previously,

  5. #5
    Jon
    Guest

    RE: Chart with dynamic x-axis names

    For all who are interested here is a snippet that provides the solution (I
    have no hair now...). UNION was the key.

    With ch

    ..Chart.ChartWizard Source:=Union( _
    Worksheets(xlSheet(i).Name).Range(xlSheet(i).Cells(2, 1),
    xlSheet(i).Cells(z, 1)), _
    Worksheets(xlSheet(i).Name).Range(xlSheet(i).Cells(2, 6),
    xlSheet(i).Cells(z, 8))), _
    Title:=xlSheet(i).Name, _
    PlotBy:=xlColumns, _
    CategoryLabels:=1
    End With

    Thanks to all who thought about it.

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Chart with dynamic x-axis names

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...40&Product=xlw
    XL97: How To Create a Dynamic Chart Using Visual Basic

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...80&Product=xlw
    XL2000: How to Use Visual Basic to Create a Dynamic Chart

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...55&Product=xlw
    Using Visual Basic to Create a Chart Using a Dynamic Range

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...