Find specific text in a string

  1. #1
    Samuel
    Guest

    Find specific text in a string

    Hi!

    I need to program a VBA fonction who will check in every cell of a
    specific column to find out if the cells contains a specific string...

    By exemple, I want to find out if the string "server" is in any cells
    of a column.

    I cannot use something like Cells(row,column).Value because the cells
    can have something else like "back-up,server,test etc..."

    It is also possible that no cells will have this string... I've tried
    to use the
    Find Method but it give me an error if no cell have the string...

    A way to handle this error could also be usefull..

    Can anyone help me about this???

    Thanks!

    Samuel Levesque

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Find specific text in a string

    Use

    Cells(row,column).Value Like "*Server*"

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Find specific text in a string

    One way:

    Dim bWordExists As Boolean
    bWordExists = Application.CountIf(Columns(1).Cells, "*server*") > 0
    If bWordExists Then MsgBox "found ""server"""

    Another:

    Dim rFound As Range
    Set rFound = Columns(1).Find( _
    What:="server", _
    LookIn:=xlValues, _
    LookAt:=xlPart, _
    MatchCase:=False)
    If Not rFound Is Nothing Then _
    MsgBox "Found ""server"" at " & rFound.Address

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Find specific text in a string

    Note that this won't find "server", since Like is case sensitive unless
    Option Compare Text is included in the module.

    If you have mixed cases, you could use

    LCase(Cells(row, column).Text) Like "*server*"

  5. #5
    Kevin B
    Guest

    RE: Find specific text in a string

    This procedure will but the text "Server Found" in the cell directly to the
    left of the cell value beingn evaluated.

    Sub Server()

    Dim lRow As Long
    Dim lCol As Long
    Dim strVal As String
    Dim varArray As Variant

    lRow = ActiveCell.Row
    lCol = ActiveCell.Column

    strVal = Cells(lRow, lCol).Value

    Do Until strVal = ""
    varArray = Split(strVal)
    For Each Item In varArray
    If Item = "Server" Then
    Cells(lRow, lCol + 1).Value = "Server Found"
    End If
    Next
    lRow = lRow + 1
    strVal = Cells(lRow, lCol).Value