Inserting a hyperlink through ADO

  1. #1
    Chris Hardie
    Guest

    Inserting a hyperlink through ADO

    Hi,

    I'm using ADO in my ASP page to insert data into an Excel spreadsheet,
    but I am having difficulty inserting a hyperlink. When I try to add
    =HYPERLINK("http://sometite.com", "Click here") to the spreadsheet,
    the expression gets hard coded into the cell instead of evaluating
    down into a hyperlink. The only way to turn it into a link is to
    double click the cell, which would be time-consuming as I have
    thousands of records to complete.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Chris

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Inserting a hyperlink through ADO

    Chris,

    No guarantees, but give something like this a try...

    Range("B10").Formula = "=HYPERLINK(""http://sometite.com"", ""Click here"")"

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: Inserting a hyperlink through ADO

    Hi Chris,

    Chris Hardie wrote:
    > I'm using ADO in my ASP page to insert data into an Excel spreadsheet,
    > but I am having difficulty inserting a hyperlink. When I try to add
    > =HYPERLINK("http://sometite.com", "Click here") to the spreadsheet,
    > the expression gets hard coded into the cell instead of evaluating
    > down into a hyperlink. The only way to turn it into a link is to
    > double click the cell, which would be time-consuming as I have
    > thousands of records to complete.

    I'm not sure if this is possible through ADO. AFAIK, ADO will only allow
    you to retrieve/update cell *values*, not formulas.

    If you need to modify formulas, I think you'd have to go with Automation
    (not advised on a web server) or something like ExcelWriter:

    http://officewriter.softartisans.com...writer-37.aspx

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  4. #4
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Inserting a hyperlink through ADO

    Are you creating a file for download, or using an Excel file on the server
    as a database?
    It's not clear from your post exactly which you're doing.

    If creating for download, are you using Excel automation or creating the
    sheet via HTML/XML?

    Tim.