can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

  1. #1
    J_J
    Guest

    can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Hi,
    My question is on the subject line...
    I have a worksheet which has 10-15 cells with long IF statements as
    formulas.
    The cell formulas are in the form of (not exactly of course):

    =IF(A1=condition1 OR B1=condition2, display"first message", else
    if(A1=condition2 AND B1=condition3), display"second message", else display
    "third message")
    etc.

    I need to use my laptops internal speaker to sound an alarm (bip) or call a
    *.wav file to play.... "if" any one of the cell value is "changed" because
    of the conditions on any one of the cell is changed .

    Can this be done via VBA?. I'd appreciate if code samples can be given.

    TIA
    J_J

  2. #2
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Hi J_J,

    You should be able to do this with the Change event of the Worksheet object.
    Copy the following code into the worksheet's code module (right-click your
    sheet tab and select View Code):

    Dim c As Range

    For Each c In Range("A6:D6")
    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, _
    c.Precedents) Is Nothing Then
    Interaction.Beep
    End If
    Next c
    End Sub

    Just change the A6:D6 to the range containing the 10-15 cells that contain
    the formulas you want to watch.

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  3. #3
    J_J
    Guest

    Re: can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Hi Jake,
    I received a "no cells were found" error (Run time error '1004') when
    activating the workbook for the

    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, c.Precedents) Is Nothing Then

    line of your code. I've changed my region to D2:G6...as it is the region I'd
    watch.
    Any ideas why?
    J_J

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Hi J_J,

    Sorry - I should have caught that. You can put an On Error Resume Next at
    the beginning of the code and an On Error Goto 0 at the end of the code to
    fix it.

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

    >>> TIA
    >>> J_J

  5. #5
    J_J
    Guest

    Re: can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Dear Jake,
    The watched cells are
    D2, D3, E2, E3, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, G2, G3, and G4.
    These cells change their display according to the values read from A1 and B1
    which displays the hour and time of system clock.
    Normally thouse watched cells all display a "_" character if the conditions
    in their formulas does not force them to change their display.
    Can we modify your macro so that if any one of thouse cells changes its
    displayed value then the sound beeps?.

  6. #6
    J_J
    Guest

    Re: can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Jake,
    I modified your code handling the error control as you suggested and now
    receive no error messages. Thanks for that. But the trouble is that now I
    get the sound alert on each minute change of my system clock. You see, cells
    A1 and B1 displays the system clock hour and minute values. And the watching
    cells (list given in my other reply) look to the values displayed in A1 and
    B1. The main macro (not yours) is executed in minute intervals to let A1 and
    B1 refresh their displays. Now although no "display" change is valid in the
    watched cells the sound alarm beeps in minute intervals too. Maybe my other
    suggestion may prevent that. I hope I didn't confuse you...
    Hope we can solve this problem.
    Regards

  7. #7
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Hi J_J,

    Let's see if I follow what you're looking to do. You would like the beep to
    occur if any of the cells referenced by the "complex IF formula" cells
    change. But you don't want the beep if the only cell(s) that changed were
    A1 and/or B1. Is that correct?

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  8. #8
    J_J
    Guest

    Re: can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Hi Jake,
    That is correct. And on the above thread (opened by me with same question
    news:#[email protected]) which solution suggestions were
    given by Bob, Bernie and Tom all proposals achieved a solution of stopping
    "false alarms" (beeps that occur because of the system clock minute changes
    reflected by another macro). But now although there is no sound beeps on
    minute changes, there is no sound either on changes with the watched range
    display. Possibly I am missing something...or we all are.

  9. #9
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Hi J_J,

    Maybe something like this would work:

    Dim c As Range

    If Application.Union(Target, Range("A1:B1") _
    ).Cells.Count > 2 Then
    On Error Resume Next
    For Each c In Range("D2:G6")
    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, _
    c.Precedents) Is Nothing Then
    If Err.Number = 0 Then Interaction.Beep
    End If
    Next c

    Let me know....

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  10. #10
    J_J
    Guest

    Re: can VBA be used to sound a *.wav file on condition(s)?

    Hi Jake,
    Unfortunately that did not solve the problem as well.
    But Tom found a solution that cures this problem. You can have a look at it
    a few threads up.
    Thank you so much for your efforts and patience with me.