Order of Excel Add-ins.

  1. #1

    Order of Excel Add-ins.

    Hi,

    We have an automation add-in and a VBA add-in that depends on the
    automation add-in and we just can't get the automation add-in to load
    before the VBA add-in!!!

    We've tried just about anyithing. Unloading them and loading them back
    in (every time restarting Excel). Going to the registry, deleting the
    OPEN* variables and then uploading the add-ins in the same correct
    order again. Nothing works: they just switch back!!!

    Is there a way to fix this problem? We are very desperate so any help
    is appreciated!

    Many thanks in advance!!!

    Aaron Fude

  2. #2
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    Why dont you get the automation add-in to open the XLA itself rather than
    trying ti get Excel to do it for you?

    Charles
    ______________________
    Decision Models
    FastExcel 2.1 now available
    www.DecisionModels.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    Charles Williams wrote:
    > Why dont you get the automation add-in to open the XLA itself rather

    than
    > trying ti get Excel to do it for you?
    >
    > Charles

    Actually, the automation add-in is the more stand alone thing of the
    two. It provides some basic functionality that is useful in the absence
    of the VBA addin and the VBA add-in uses it.

    Would would work if the VBA could somehow make sure that the automation
    add-in is loaded. But how to do that?!

    Thanks!

    Aaron Fude

  4. #4
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    Your first post said that you want to load the automation addin before the
    VBA addin, and your second post said you want to load the VBA addin before
    the automation addin, so I am confused.

    However the answer is still basically the same: if you want to control what
    is loaded and in what sequence then write some code to do it instead of
    trying to get Excel to do it for you: you could create a simple loader XLA
    that is installed as an excel add-in so that when excel starts /closes the
    loader XLA opens the real XLA and installs/uninstalls the automation addin
    and runs an initialisation routine, in whatever sequence you want to do
    things.

    regards
    Charles
    ______________________

  5. #5
    Michel Pierron
    Guest

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    Hi,
    Change order of the OPEN keys in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options
    10.0 is version of excel2002
    Regards,
    MP

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    OK,

    The VBA add-in "depends" on the automation c# add-in. So the automation
    add-in needs to be loaded first. Wha I was suggesting in the previous
    email is that *if* the VBA add-in insists on being loaded first,
    perhaps it could have some code that checks whether the automation
    add-in is loaded and, if not, load it.

    Also,

    1=2E What Michel is suggesting simply does not work for me. Excel simply
    rewrites the OPEN keys in the mentioned location.

    2=2E I like the idea of a "simple loader" and I have several questions
    about it.

    A=2E Would you recommend that it is written in VBA?
    B=2E How would I make sure that *it* is loaded first?
    C=2E What's the command for loading an automation add-in?
    D=2E What's the command for loading a VBA add-in?

  7. #7
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    The key is to only have Excel itself load one addin (either an xla or COM
    addin or Automation Addin or whatever), then that addin loads the other
    ones.

    An XLA addin is basically a hidden Excel workbook. You can open it like any
    other workbook using Workbooks.Open without using the Excel.Addins
    collection or going anywhere near the registry etc.

    an automation addin is a different animal (its basically a DLL rather than a
    workbook) supported only from Excel 2002 onwards, and needs to be installed
    using regserver and Addins.Add.

    so if the automation addin needs to be loaded first the simplest solution is
    my first suggestion: do not have the XLA addin installed using Tools Addins
    (ie no registry OPEN etc entries) just add some code to the automation addin
    which opens the XLA addin when it needs to.

    Or you could write a simple loader that installed the automation addin
    (shell to regserver if needed then addins.add) and then opened the XLA, or
    vice-versa.

    If you want a more comprehensive example of an addin loader look at the
    Automatically reversioning addin loader on my downloads page (but it only
    handles XLA addins)

    Charles
    ______________________
    Decision Models
    FastExcel 2.1 now available
    www.DecisionModels.com

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    OK,

    The VBA add-in "depends" on the automation c# add-in. So the automation
    add-in needs to be loaded first. Wha I was suggesting in the previous
    email is that *if* the VBA add-in insists on being loaded first,
    perhaps it could have some code that checks whether the automation
    add-in is loaded and, if not, load it.

    Also,

    1. What Michel is suggesting simply does not work for me. Excel simply
    rewrites the OPEN keys in the mentioned location.

    2. I like the idea of a "simple loader" and I have several questions
    about it.

    A. Would you recommend that it is written in VBA?
    B. How would I make sure that *it* is loaded first?
    C. What's the command for loading an automation add-in?
    D. What's the command for loading a VBA add-in?

  8. #8

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    Hi, thanks for you help.

    I think I'm only confusing you by trying explain what I need in greater
    detail. And I'm still confused myself.

    Basically, my c# add-in does not know that the VBA add-in exists.

    So to make matters simple, i need this:

    ****** The VBA addin checks whether the c# add-in is loaded - and loads
    it programmatically, if necessary.

    What's the VBA for doing that?

    Thanks again,

    Aaron Fude

  9. #9
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    Assuming you really do have an Automation addin rather than some other kind
    of addin:

    > Basically, my c# add-in does not know that the VBA add-in exists.

    Of course not, but its so easy: all it has to do is open it as if it was a
    workbook ...

    >****** The VBA addin checks whether the c# add-in is loaded - and loads
    >it programmatically, if necessary.

    something like this (not tested), where Myprojectname.classname is the
    ProgId of your Automation addin

    dim oAddin as addin

    on error resume next
    set oaddin=nothing
    set oaddin=addins("MyProjectname.classname")
    on error goto 0
    if oaddin is nothing then
    addins.add("MyProjectname.classname")
    set oaddin=addins("MyProjectname.classname")
    endif

    if not oaddin.installed then oaddin.installed=true

    Charles
    ______________________
    Decision Models
    FastExcel 2.1 now available
    www.DecisionModels.com

  10. #10

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    Charles Williams wrote:
    > Assuming you really do have an Automation addin rather than some

    other kind
    > of addin:
    >
    > > Basically, my c# add-in does not know that the VBA add-in exists.

    > Of course not, but its so easy: all it has to do is open it as if it

    was a
    > workbook ...
    >
    > >****** The VBA addin checks whether the c# add-in is loaded - and

    loads
    > >it programmatically, if necessary.

    > something like this (not tested), where Myprojectname.classname is

    the
    > ProgId of your Automation addin
    >
    > dim oAddin as addin
    >
    > on error resume next
    > set oaddin=nothing
    > set oaddin=addins("MyProjectname.classname")
    > on error goto 0
    > if oaddin is nothing then
    > addins.add("MyProjectname.classname")
    > set oaddin=addins("MyProjectname.classname")
    > endif
    >
    > if not oaddin.installed then oaddin.installed=true

    Thank you, Charles!!! This code works!

    Could you explain some of the terminology? Assume that my automation
    add-in is registered.

    Am I correct that in order for (set
    oaddin=addins("MyProjectname.classname")) to work it must already be in
    the list of Add-ins but not necessarily "clicked in"?

    And that "oaddin.installed=true" is equivalent to "clicking it in"?

    And as a final question. If my automation add-in is clicked to be
    loaded when Excel starts, but my VBA add-in with your wonderful code
    beats Excel to the punch, will Excel try to load it afterwards anyway
    and if so will it cause an error?

    Once again, thank you so much.

    Aaron Fude

  11. #11
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: Order of Excel Add-ins.

    The code looks to see if the addin is in the list, and if it is not in the
    list it adds it.

    Then if it is not installed from the list it installs it.

    So the code should work regardless of the state of the automation addin
    (assuming it is registered).

    --
    Charles