Need a macro to Identify a users IP address

  1. #1
    havocdragon
    Guest

    Need a macro to Identify a users IP address

    Hello all.

    Is there a macro command that will Identify the persons IP address (the
    person who is running the macro)? And then display it in a message box
    (though with the macro Im sure I could figure this part out).

    thanks =)

  2. #2
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: Need a macro to Identify a users IP address

    Hi havocdragon,

    Are you looking for the machine's internal or external IP address? If the
    former, there's probably an API call to get the internal IP address. If the
    latter, then here's a function that will do what you're looking for. Keep
    in mind that it relies upon an external URL (myipaddress.com), so if that
    page ever changes or the site is taken down, this will not work anymore.

    Public Function sGetPublicIPAddress()
    Dim x As Object
    Dim sResponse As String
    Dim lStart As Long
    Dim lEnd As Long

    Set x = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

    With x
    .Open "GET", "http://myipaddress.com"
    .send
    Do Until .readyState = 4
    DoEvents
    Loop
    sResponse = .responseText
    End With

    Set x = Nothing

    If Len(sResponse) Then
    lStart = InStr(1, sResponse, "<b>") + 3
    lEnd = InStr(lStart, sResponse, "</b>") - 1

    If lEnd > lStart Then sGetPublicIPAddress = _
    Mid$(sResponse, lStart, lEnd - lStart + 1)
    End If
    End Function

    Jake Marx
    MS MVP - Excel
    www.longhead.com

  3. #3
    havocdragon
    Guest

    Re: Need a macro to Identify a users IP address

    Actually I do need the internal one =). I am unfamilliar with API's though.
    Any idea where to look on this?

  4. #4
    Jake Marx

    havocdragon wrote:
    > Actually I do need the internal one =). I am unfamilliar with API's
    > though. Any idea where to look on this?

    You could try something like this:

    http://www.source-code.biz/snippets/vbasic/8.htm

    Jake Marx