Open Access Database through Excel

  1. #1
    jojo
    Guest

    Open Access Database through Excel

    I'm new to VB programming in Excel. I've coded VB in Access before but never
    in Excel. I don't even know where this would be coded in Excel. I would
    like to open an Access Database from Excel but don't where to even begin to
    start! Can someone give me some pointers (in simple terms, as I am not
    familiar with the excel programming lingo yet). Or even suggest a website
    where I can find step by step instructions? I appreciate any assistance that
    can be provided!!

  2. #2
    Guest

    Open Access Database through Excel

    hi,
    getting started with excel VBA
    http://class.et.byu.edu/ce270/vbaexcel_primer/intro.htm

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/und...g/excel/gettin
    gstarted/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-
    us/odc_xl2003_ta/html/odc_super.asp
    Note: this one wrapped big time

    http://www.exceltip.com/excel_links.html
    http://www.the-excel-advisor.com/excel-macros-vba-
    tutorial.html

  3. #3
    Gary Brown
    Guest

    RE: Open Access Database through Excel

    You can call it a couple of ways...See below.
    I prefer using the 'Shell' option. A LOT less messy.
    HTH,
    Gary Brown

    '/===================================/
    Sub test_Shell()
    Dim strAccessProgramLocation As String
    Dim retVal As Variant

    'put location of MS Access program in string
    strAccessProgramLocation = _
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe"

    'call MS Access from Excel
    retVal = Shell(strAccessProgramLocation, vbNormalFocus)

    End Sub
    '/===================================/
    Sub test_App()
    'create a reference to...
    'Microsoft Access 9.0 Object Library
    ' Probably located at...
    ' C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACC9.OLB
    Dim objAccess As Access.Application

    Set objAccess = New Access.Application

    objAccess.Visible = True

    MsgBox "Access Closed"

    exit_Sub:
    Set objAccess = Nothing
    Exit Sub

    End Sub

  4. #4
    Gary Brown
    Guest

    RE: Open Access Database through Excel

    The second method is used when you want to open a particular database or run
    a particular query within a database, etc.
    HTH,
    gary brown