file delete in Excel receives permission denied by Server 2003

  1. #1
    phurst
    Guest

    file delete in Excel receives permission denied by Server 2003

    We have an Excel workbook with macros to manipulate files on a Windows
    server. The Excel workbook is accessed on a user's workstation. Everything
    worked fine under Windows Server 2000. We have rebuilt the server with
    Windows Server 2003. Now when the macro tries to delete files from the
    server, it gets a "permission denied" error. The user has full control
    permission in the folders and can manually delete the files. The current
    hypothesis is that there is a setting in Server 2003 that is defaulted
    differently from Server 2000, but we don't what setting this might be.
    The macro uses the Scripting library and loops through the files in a folder
    and uses the Delete method. The user has the option of archiving the files,
    in which case the files are moved rather than deleted. The Move method works
    but the Delete method doesn't.

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: file delete in Excel receives permission denied by Server 2003

    Now that is a good question. It sounds like you are using FSO's. Have you
    tired the rather more primative Kill method. As in

    Kill (C:\Temp.xls)

    It might be worth a try...

    HTH

  3. #3
    phurst
    Guest

    RE: file delete in Excel receives permission denied by Server 2003

    Tried the Kill statement and it worked. So I commented it out and tried the
    Delete method again. It worked now also. So I had a little chat with our
    server admin and he denied all knowledge of any changes in permissions on the
    server between the problem period and now. So I'm no wiser about what the
    problem was, but at least my tool is working again.