Upload Excel to Access

  1. #1
    Luis
    Guest

    Upload Excel to Access

    Hello.
    I have an xls file that i want to append to an Access table that has an
    autonumber field.
    How can i upload this information from Excel to Access?

  2. #2
    Glenn Ray
    Guest

    RE: Upload Excel to Access

    Presuming that your Excel table is the same structure as your Access table,
    you should be able to append the Excel data to your Access table like so:

    1) Open both your Excel worksheet and your Access database & table you wish
    to append
    2) Select and copy the Excel data (no headers).
    3) Switch to Access, and while viewing the table you wish to update, select
    "Edit, Paste Append" from the menu.

    The copied rows/records will be appended and the autonumbered field will be
    updated appropriately (overwriting any values that might have been in the
    related Excel data).

    -Glenn Ray
    MOS Master

  3. #3
    Luis
    Guest

    RE: Upload Excel to Access

    Ok, but i'd like to do it programatically.

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Upload Excel to Access

    Programmatically is tricky. Unless you are familliar with ADODB and
    recordsets then you will be in way over your head. This is not a project for
    the Newbie. That having been said if you are ok with ADO then with a little
    searching on the web you should be able to get yourself started. After that
    we would be more than happy to help you with any specific problems you might
    have...

    HTH

  5. #5
    Jamie Collins
    Guest

    Re: Upload Excel to Access

    Jim Thomlinson wrote:
    > > I have an xls file that i want to append to an Access table

    > Programmatically is tricky. Unless you are familliar with ADODB and
    > recordsets

    'Recordsets' may be a red herring here e.g.

    Sub no_recordset_needed()
    Dim con As Object
    Set con = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    con.Open _
    "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
    "Data Source=C:\Tempo\New_Jet_DB.mdb"
    con.Execute _
    "INSERT INTO MyTable (data_col)" & _
    " SELECT F1 AS data_col FROM" & _
    " [Excel 8.0;HDR=NO;Database=C:\Tempo\db.xls;]" & _
    ".[Sheet1$B2:E65535];"
    End Sub

    Jamie.

  6. #6
    Markonni
    Guest

    Re: Upload Excel to Access

    Hi!

    There is simpler way to do this. You can make a link from Access/tables view
    to the Excel file. Then you can work with that linked file as with any other
    table that you have in Access.

    Make a right click on the blank space while you are in the Tables view in
    Access and choose Link tables.

    Then in the field files of type choose xls type of file and select your file
    on the disk.

    I hope that you will manage to go further alone. If not just ask.

    Regards,
    Markonni

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Forum Guru Norie's Avatar
    Stirling, Scotland
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft Office 365
    Posts
    19,643
    If you want to do this programmatically from Access you can use the TransferSpreadsheet method.

  8. #8
    Jamie Collins
    Guest

    Re: Upload Excel to Access

    Markonni wrote:
    > There is simpler way to do this. You can make a link from

    Access/tables view
    > to the Excel file.

    The OP posted in .excel.programming then said, "i'd like to do it
    programatically", so how about posting some *Excel code* to create the
    linked table. Your approach is only simpler if operating on the same
    Excel file each time.

    Jamie.