Definition of a statistical function (CQC) in Excel (maybe with VBA...)

  1. #1
    uriel78
    Guest

    Definition of a statistical function (CQC) in Excel (maybe with VBA...)

    I need to define a kind of statistical function to retrieve a combination of
    some set of values, but I don't know how to implement it in excel...maybe it
    is possible using a macro...

    The definition of the formula (CQC=complete quadratic combination) is given
    by formula (16) and (17) here
    http://www.ingegneriasismica.net/Tem...mbinazione.htm

    or here
    http://www.6dof.com/index.php?module...isplay&ceid=64

    TIA

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: Definition of a statistical function (CQC) in Excel (maybe with VB

    Strange as it may seem, I actually enjoy these types of problems so I gave it
    a try. Disclaimer: having only a faint knowledge of what you are trying to
    do (and what are reasonable values as inputs and what is the expected output)
    I have no way to fully test my results. The code also contains no error
    checking, so things like a zero denominator could make it crash. So I won't
    vouch for the results, but I hope I have at least outlined a method of
    solution. (By the way, I will be curious as to whether I got it right, so if
    you have a chance after testing it a quick reply here would be nice!)

    I am assuming that you have available a matched list of f, R, and xi values,
    since they seem to be necessary to solve the equation. I require that these
    be arranged in columns, but not necessarily consecutive columns. However,
    they do need to be the same length. I wrote a user function called RCQC: you
    can use it just like any other Excel function. You need to supply the three
    ranges for your lists of coefficients:

    Private fRange As Range, RRange As Range, XiRange As Range

    Public Function RCQC(fValues As Range, RValues As Range, XiValues As Range)
    ' fValues is the range (in a column) containing the f coeffiecients
    ' RValues is the range (in a column) containing the R coeffiecients
    ' XiValues is the range (in a column) containing the Xi coeffiecients
    Dim Ri As Double, p As Double, Rj As Double
    Dim i As Integer, j As Integer
    Dim R As Double

    Set fRange = fValues
    Set RRange = RValues
    Set XiRange = XiValues

    R = 0

    For i = 1 To fValues.Rows.Count
    For j = 1 To fValues.Rows.Count
    Ri = RRange.Cells(1, 1).Offset(i - 1, 0).Value
    p = pij(i, j)
    Rj = RRange.Cells(1, 1).Offset(j - 1, 0).Value
    R = R + Ri * p * Rj
    Next j
    Next i

    RCQC = Sqr(R)

    End Function

    Private Function rij(i As Integer, j As Integer) As Double
    Dim fi, fj As Double

    fi = fRange.Cells(1, 1).Offset(i - 1, 0).Value
    fj = fRange.Cells(1, 1).Offset(j - 1, 0).Value

    rij = fj / fi

    End Function
    Private Function pij(i As Integer, j As Integer)
    Dim Xii As Double, Xij As Double, R As Double
    Dim Numerator As Double, Denominator As Double

    Xii = XiRange.Cells(1, 1).Offset(i - 1, 0).Value
    Xij = XiRange.Cells(1, 1).Offset(j - 1, 0).Value
    R = rij(i, j)

    Numerator = 8 * Sqr(Xii * Xij) * (Xii + R * Xij) * R ^ (3 / 2)
    Denominator = (1 - R ^ 2) ^ 2
    Denominator = Denominator + 4 * Xii * Xij * R * (1 + R ^ 2)
    Denominator = Denominator + 4 * (Xii ^ 2 + Xij ^ 2) * R ^ 2

    pij = Numerator / Denominator

    End Function

  3. #3
    uriel78
    Guest

    Re: Definition of a statistical function (CQC) in Excel (maybe with VB

    Well, I'm very impressed from your work...it is truly great and it seems to
    work well...!!

    :-)))

    I've just finished to take a first look on the results that your function
    gives back and they are consistent with the theory assumption (background of
    CQC's function)
    In addition, I think the results are very reasonable and they seems to be
    according to values I could expect before running the function.

    On next days I will surely work with your function by doing a very large
    number of tests (I've got a ton of experimental data that could be processed
    with this function) and I will surely taking care to report to you & other
    people some results and relative comments

    Many many thanks for now, see you back next days!!!

  4. #4
    K Dales
    Guest

    Re: Definition of a statistical function (CQC) in Excel (maybe wit

    Thanks for the feedback. Was curious since I was developing the code without
    a good idea of what the output should be like for a given input. I have
    enough of an engineering background to tell you are working with a
    combination of vibrational modes, but that is about it (and my engineering
    days were a long time ago...)

    Hope it works out, or if not that at least you can debug the code.

  5. #5
    uriel78
    Guest

    Re: Definition of a statistical function (CQC) in Excel (maybe with VB

    ....if you want I send you a simple application of the function, I tried to
    do it yesterday evening but it comes back (need your email, you can give it
    to me also in pvt)

  6. #6
    K Dales
    Guest

    Re: Definition of a statistical function (CQC) in Excel (maybe wit

    It would be interesting to see the application. Will give my email -
    modified to avoid spam but you will figure it out: kgdccATwestelcomDOTcom.
    Thanks