data validation across sheets

  1. #1
    Gixxer_J_97
    Guest

    data validation across sheets

    Hi all!

    I know in order to use data validation on "sheet 1" using data on "sheet 2"
    i need to define a name.

    however, my list on "sheet 2" will constantly grow. is there a way that i
    can create the name dynamically so that i do not have to re-define the list
    every time a new entry is added and also not have the numerous spaces that a
    general range (say A1:A10000) would have?

    as an aside, my data on page 2 is added using a userform and vba - so i am
    thinking that it may be easiest to re-define the list through vba code every
    time page 2 is updated. am i thinking correctly?

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: data validation across sheets

    You can use a dynamic name for the range. There are instructions here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

    Gixxer_J_97 wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I know in order to use data validation on "sheet 1" using data on "sheet 2"
    > i need to define a name.
    >
    > however, my list on "sheet 2" will constantly grow. is there a way that i
    > can create the name dynamically so that i do not have to re-define the list
    > every time a new entry is added and also not have the numerous spaces that a
    > general range (say A1:A10000) would have?
    >
    > as an aside, my data on page 2 is added using a userform and vba - so i am
    > thinking that it may be easiest to re-define the list through vba code every
    > time page 2 is updated. am i thinking correctly?
    >
    > thanks!

    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html