vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

  1. #1
    Rock
    Guest

    vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

    I would like to run a vlookup for a name and have it return the location of
    the cell where it finds it so I can use it in a sum(offset()) function.

    column A
    row 1 Sam
    row 2 Bill
    row 3 Eva

    Vlookup( EVA,A1:C3,location Cell) would like result to be A3

    --
    Thanks

    Roch

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

    see your previous post for two answers

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rock
    Guest

    Re: vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

    I'm sorry I still don't understand should the match go where I put "location
    Cell"
    Vlookup( EVA,A1:C3,location Cell) would like result to be A3 here

    and can I incoporate it in the following function

    =SUM(OFFSET(Vlookup( EVA,A1:C3,match(EVA,???? )),15,15,28,1))
    {------------- result A3------------------}

    Thanks
    Roch

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

    ="A"&match("Eva",A1:A3,0)

    but that wouldn't be useful for the offset function

    maybe something like
    =sum(offset($A$1,match("Eva",$A$1:$A$3,0)-1,1,1,10))

    would sum B3:K3

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

    =SUM(OFFSET(Indirect("A"&match("EVA",$A$1:$A:$3,0)),15,15,28,1))

    or much simpler

    =SUM(OFFSET(A1,match("EVA",$A$1:$A:$3,0)+14,15,28,1))

    Tom Ogilvy

  6. #6
    Rock
    Guest

    Re: vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

    =sum(offset($A$1,match("Eva",$A$1:$A$3,0)-1,1,1,10))

    This does not seem to work as it is suppose to.It makes sense when I look at
    it but
    it does not seem to go to $a$1then down to Eva -1 and when I change the name
    it does not seem to move as it should. The ="A"&match one does give me the
    right cell number but cannot be put into the sum offset formula????

    Thanks

    Roch

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

    formula was tested and works as described. It doesn't go to Eva - 1,
    because offset is zero based. So it goes to the Eva row.

    Tom Ogilvy

  8. #8
    Rock
    Guest

    Re: vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

    Yes, it does work thank you very much Tom. Much appreciated.