Classes Excel and Access - off topic

  1. #1
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Classes Excel and Access - off topic

    Hi,

    I know this is off-topic, but have posted in microsoft.public.access.forms
    with no success so I thought someone here might be able to point me in the
    right direction.

    The class module was an early example from J Walkenbach 'Excel 97 Power
    Programming with VBA'. As you can see, tried to adapt this to Access forms,
    but no luck.

    >>>Original Post>>>

    I am trying to automate the behaviour of many buttons in Access at once.
    Something like a control array in VB. I can do this in Excel, but can't
    figure out if there is an Access equivalent. Has anyone any pointers for me?

    Firstly I built a class module called BtnClass with the following code;

    Option Compare Database

    ' Declaration for Access
    Public WithEvents ButtonGroup As CommandButton
    ' Declaration for Excel
    ' Public WithEvents ButtonGroup As MSForms.CommandButton

    Private Sub ButtonGroup_Click()
    MsgBox "You clicked - " & ButtonGroup.Name
    End Sub

    Then I built Form1, placed two button on it, and added the following code;

    Dim Buttons() As New BtnClass

    Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim ButtonCount As Integer
    Dim ctl As Control

    ButtonCount = 0

    For Each ctl In Me.Controls
    If TypeName(ctl) = "CommandButton" Then
    ButtonCount = ButtonCount + 1
    ReDim Preserve Buttons(1 To ButtonCount)
    Set Buttons(ButtonCount).ButtonGroup = ctl
    End If
    Next ctl

    End Sub

    If I run the form, the Form_Load procedure works fine, but the button events
    do not fire.

    Now, this works in Excel except that in Excel a CommandButton is a member of
    MSForms, whereas in Access CommandButtons are members of Access.

    Is it possible to make this work in Access?

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net

  2. #2
    Jamie Collins
    Guest

    Re: Classes Excel and Access - off topic

    Ed Ferrero wrote:
    > The class module was an early example from J Walkenbach 'Excel 97

    Power
    > Programming with VBA'. As you can see, tried to adapt this to Access

    forms,
    > but no luck.
    >
    > Is it possible to make this work in Access?

    I don't think so. See this recent thread:

    http://tinyurl.com/5qxuu

    It appears MS Access Forms' controls are not ActiveX, therefore you
    cannot sink them in a class module using the WithEvents keyword.

    Jamie.