User Defined Functions - Help Text - Make it Easy for the User

  1. #1
    Andibevan
    Guest

    User Defined Functions - Help Text - Make it Easy for the User

    Hi All,

    Does anyone have any pointers or ideas on how you can add help text to a
    user defined function.

    I.e. When you select IF from the functions menu it says "Returns one value
    if a condition you specify evaluates to TRUE and another value if it
    evaluates to FALSE"

    There is also help text on the individual formula components of the
    Microsoft functions.

    I have created a number of user functions and they would be a lot better if
    they were clearer and more user friendly.

    Any pointers or ideas of where to look would be gladly received.

    Ta

    Andi

  2. #2

    description

    Hi Andi,

    You can give you user-defined functions a description in the following way.

    In Excel press ALT-F8, this will give you the Macro-Dialog

    If you write the name of your function in the box where it says "Macro Name", you will see the options button enabled (If you've typed in the full name of the function).

    Then click the options button... There you can write a description of you function.
    Press OK, and you will see you description in de functions-dialogbox.

    Good luck....

    AMSVbA

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: User Defined Functions - Help Text - Make it Easy for the User

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:25:56 -0000, "Andibevan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Does anyone have any pointers or ideas on how you can add help text to a
    >user defined function.
    >
    >I.e. When you select IF from the functions menu it says "Returns one value
    >if a condition you specify evaluates to TRUE and another value if it
    >evaluates to FALSE"
    >
    >There is also help text on the individual formula components of the
    >Microsoft functions.
    >
    >I have created a number of user functions and they would be a lot better if
    >they were clearer and more user friendly.
    >
    >Any pointers or ideas of where to look would be gladly received.
    >
    >Ta
    >
    >Andi

    1. Try to make the argument names explanatory. In other words, instead of

    Function foo(a,b,c,d,optional e)

    Do something like:

    Function foo(StartDate, EndDate, WeekendDay1, WeekendDay2, optional Holidays)

    2. You could look at Longre's FUNCUSTOMIZE.DLL (at http://xcell05.free.fr/)
    which puports to add more involved descriptions. I've not tried it out,
    however.
    --ron

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: User Defined Functions - Help Text - Make it Easy for the User

    In addition to Ron's good suggestions..........

    You can add a brief description(not arguments) if you open the VBEditor and
    View>Object Browser.

    Find your UDF and right-click and you can add a comment there.

    This comment will be shown in the Function Wizard when you click on your UDF.

    i.e. Click on ShowFormula in UDF category and see this.......

    ShowFormula(Cell)

    Returns the formula of a cell as Text.
    Usage is: =ShowFormula(cellref)

    For Arguments you can use Laurent Longre's Funcustomize that Ron pointed you
    to.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Tony
    Guest

    User Defined Functions - Help Text - Make it Easy for the User

    Add the following to the Workbook_Open() sub of the work
    book containing the UDF

    Application.MacroOptions Macro:="FName", _

    Where FName is the name of the function (incl quotes).

    Comment: This is best done with an AddIn file (.xla).

    Hope this helps,

    Tony

  6. #6
    Andibevan
    Guest

    Re: User Defined Functions - Help Text - Make it Easy for the User

    Big thankyou to Ron, Tony and Gord for your help with this one - I have
    tried to get answers to this for ages but with no avail - it also has proved
    hard to find any info through Google.

    Ta