Data Validation - Dynamic

  1. #1
    Steph
    Guest

    Data Validation - Dynamic

    Hello. I have a simple table with 2 columns. In col A, the words "Open" or
    "Closed". In column B, a vendor. On a different sheet, I would like to
    have data validation drop-down with ONLY the vendors that have "Open" next
    to them. Possible? Thanks so much!

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Dynamic

    See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Dropdowns.html

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    You don't need code for this.

    You can sort the original columns by the "closed/open" column ("open" on top); replicate the columns' data in the other sheet with a simple reference; and then have an OFFSET formula as your validation range.

    assuming you bring over the original data into A101:B111, the validation "source" would be

    =OFFSET($B$101,0,0,MATCH("Closed",$A$101:$A$111,0)-1,1)

    If you don't want to sort the original data, then use an array formula in the other sheet as your validation range.

    Assuming again original data in A1:B11, select any out-of-the way 11 row x 1 col range, enter in formula bar

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$B:$B,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$11="open",ROW(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$11),99999),ROW()))

    hit Ctrl+Shift+Return

    Point validation to that range

    You can hide the zeroes in the drop-down through the offset formula above.

  4. #4
    Steph
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Dynamic

    Wow, that's awfully complicated! I thought this would be a simple formula
    in the data validation section!!

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Dynamic

    I assumed you wanted to switch. If you only want to show the Open items,
    give the open items a workbook name, and then add a DV with a list linked to
    that name.

  6. #6
    Steph
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Dynamic

    Thanks Bob. I guess that was the root of my question - How would I give
    only the Open items a Name?

  7. #7
    post the exact ranges involved and i'll post some formulas you can just paste

    the OFFSET function's reason for being is to create dynamic ranges

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Dynamic

    Select the Open items on the worksheet, all of them, then goto menu
    Insert>Name>Define... and then just type a meaningful name in the Names In
    Workbook field. The Refersto field will be completed.

    Then on the other sheet, select the field that you want the DV on and
    select Data>Validation and in the Allow box select List, and then in the
    Source box type =myRange where myRange is the name you just gave the Open
    items.

    Bob Phillips

  9. #9
    that's not a dynamic range, but a static one that will have to be maintained every time the "Vendors" spreadsheet is changed