VBA routine (101)

  1. #1
    Ray
    Guest

    VBA routine (101)

    Does anyone have a VBA routine that would would print the name of each
    subdirectory and the contents of each of these directories into a text file?

    For example you would point it to a specified directory and the routine
    would locate each subdirectory and print the subdirectory name and its
    contents to a text file then locate the next subdirectory and print its
    contents etc, etc. The final output would list each subdirectory and all its
    contents.

    Thanks
    --
    Ray

  2. #2
    AA2e72E
    Guest

    RE: VBA routine (101)

    Try this:

    Sub ListDir()
    Shell "CMD /C DIR C:\AJAY /S /B > C:\MYFILES.TXT"
    End Sub

    The file C:\MYFILES.TXT will contain what you are after.

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: VBA routine (101)

    Directory List
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/so...ist/index.html

    Puts the results in an XL file, which can then be saved as a text file.

    Basic capability is free. Enhanced capabilities require purchase of a
    license.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  4. #4
    Ray
    Guest

    Re: VBA routine (101)

    Thanks very much

  5. #5
    SacCourt
    Guest

    RE: VBA routine (101)

    Directory to a File

    Thank you AA2e72E this is simple elegant and powerful.

    Sub ListDir()
    Shell "CMD /C DIR C:\AJAY /S /B > C:\MYFILES.TXT"
    End Sub

    Note that several commands are being nested. CMD calls up an instance of a
    Dos based window. DIR run the Directory command on “C:\Ajay” directory. The
    Directory command is implementing two switches “/s” to include files in all
    subdirectories’ “/b”” to use the file bare. File bare omits directory
    headings, size, and date stamps. “>” is a redirect which redirects theo
    output of the subsequent nested commands and switches to a file
    “C:\myfiles.txt”. The dos window closed upon execution, so the “/C” switch
    probably is a slash command for the “CMD” nesting.

    Subsequent to this you can run a transfer text routine to bring in the
    current directory data.

    This example worked with my modification the first time. This is a rare gift.
    Shell "CMD /C DIR p:\*.txt /S /B > C:\MYFILES.TXT"

    In the past I had written a dos batch file to accomplish this. In addition
    the netuse command to map network unc paths to a drive letter before this
    command works.

    Bottom line: I will use the different dos based command switches to
    accomplish many different file and directory queries. I’m upgrading to
    Windows XP from Windows 98. The NT directory Windows XP, NT, 2000, “DIR” and
    the Windows 95, 98, ME, 3.1 Dos “DIR” outputs are different. However, the /B
    swith for the bare file name may be consistent regardless of “Dos” command.

    Below is a paste of Unicode text of Microsoft Help files. They are
    copyrighted, however since this is a Microsoft site It should not matter.
    This is a Roseta stone for this type of work. Below you will find help for
    the command and switches as follows: CMD, DIR, Redirects > and Pipes |

    Help Recitals

    CmdStarts a new instance of the command interpreter, Cmd.exe. Used without
    parameters, cmd displays Windows XP version and copyright information.

    Syntax
    cmd [[{/c|/k}] [/s] [/q] [/d] [{/a|/u}] [/t:fg] [/e:{on|off}] [/f:{on|off}]
    [/v:{on|off}] string]

    Parameters
    /c
    Carries out the command specified by string and then stops.
    /k
    Carries out the command specified by string and continues.
    /s
    Modifies the treatment of string after /c or /k.
    /q
    Turns the echo off.
    /d
    Disables execution of AutoRun commands.
    /a
    Creates American National Standards Institute (ANSI) output.
    /u
    Creates Unicode output.
    /t:fg
    Sets the foreground f and background g colors. The following tables lists
    valid hexadecimal digits that you can use as the values for f and g. Value
    Color
    0 Black
    1 Blue
    2 Green
    3 Aqua
    4 Red
    5 Purple
    6 Yellow
    7 White
    8 Gray
    9 Light blue
    A Light green
    B Light aqua
    C Light red
    D Light purple
    E Light yellow
    F Bright white

    /e:on
    Enables command extensions.
    /e:off
    Disables commands extensions.
    /f:on
    Enables file and directory name completion.
    /f:off
    Disables file and directory name completion.
    /v:on
    Enables delayed environment variable expansion.
    /v:off
    Disables delayed environment variable expansion.
    string
    Specifies the command you want to carry out.
    /?
    Displays help at the command prompt.
    Remarks
    Using multiple commands
    You can use multiple commands separated by the command separator && for
    string, but you must enclose them in quotation marks (for example,
    "command&&command&&command").

    Processing quotation marks
    If you specify /c or /k, cmd processes the remainder of string and quotation
    marks are preserved only if all of the following conditions are met:

    You do not use /s.
    You use exactly one set of quotation marks.
    You do not use any special characters within the quotation marks (for
    example: &<>( ) @ ^ |).
    You use one or more white-space characters within the quotation marks.
    The string within quotation marks is the name of an executable file.
    If the previous conditions are not met, string is processed by examining the
    first character to verify whether or not it is an opening quotation mark. If
    the first character is an opening quotation mark, it is stripped along with
    the closing quotation mark. Any text following the closing quotation marks is
    preserved.

    Executing registry subkeys
    If you do not specify /d in string, Cmd.exe looks for the following registry
    subkeys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun\REG_SZ

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun REG_EXPAND_SZ

    If either one or both registry subkeys are present, they are executed before
    all other variables.

    Caution

    Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before
    making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the
    computer.
    Enabling and disabling command extensions
    Command extensions are enabled by default in Windows XP. You can disable
    them for a particular process by using /e:off. You can enable or disable
    extensions for all cmd command-line options on a computer or user session by
    setting the following REG_DWORD values:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command
    Processor\EnableExtensions\REG_DWORD

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command
    Processor\EnableExtensions\REG_DWORD

    Set the REG_DWORD value to either 0×1 (that is, enabled) or 0×0 (that is,
    disabled) in the registry by using Regedit.exe. User-specified settings take
    precedence over computer settings, and command-line options take precedence
    over registry settings.

    Caution

    Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before
    making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the
    computer.
    When you enable command extensions, the following commands are affected:

    assoc
    call
    chdir (cd)
    color
    del (erase)
    endlocal
    for
    ftype
    goto
    if
    mkdir (md)
    popd
    prompt
    pushd
    set
    setlocal
    shift
    start (also includes changes to external command processes)

    For more information about these commands, see Related Topics.

    Enabling delayed environment variable expansion
    If you enable delayed environment variable expansion, you can use the
    exclamation character to substitute the value of an environment variable at
    run time.

    Enabling file and directory name completion
    File and directory name completion is not enabled by default. You can enable
    or disable file name completion for a particular process of the cmd command
    with /f:{on|off}. You can enable or disable file and directory name
    completion for all processes of the cmd command on a computer or user logon
    session by setting the following REG_DWORD values:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command
    Processor\CompletionChar\REG_DWORD

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command
    Processor\PathCompletionChar\REG_DWORD

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command
    Processor\CompletionChar\REG_DWORD

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command
    Processor\PathCompletionChar\REG_DWORD

    To set the REG_DWORD value, run Regedit.exe and use the hexadecimal value of
    a control character for a particular function (for example, 0×9 is TAB and
    0×08 is BACKSPACE). User-specified settings take precedence over computer
    settings, and command-line options take precedence over registry settings.

    Caution

    Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before
    making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the
    computer.
    If you enable file and directory name completion by using /f:on, use CTRL+D
    for directory name completion and CTRL+F for file name completion. To disable
    a particular completion character in the registry, use the value for white
    space [0×20] because it is not a valid control character.

    When you press CTRL+D or CTRL+F, cmd processes file and directory name
    completion. These key combination functions append a wildcard character to
    string (that is, if one is not present), build a list of paths that match,
    and then display the first matching path. If none of the paths match, the
    file and directory name completion function beeps and does not change the
    display. To move through the list of matching paths, press CTRL+D or CTRL+F
    repeatedly. To move through the list backwards, press the SHIFT key and
    CTRL+D or CTRL+F simultaneously. To discard the saved list of matching paths
    and generate a new list, edit string and press CTRL+D or CTRL+F. If you
    switch between CTRL+D and CTRL+F, the saved list of matching paths is
    discarded and a new list is generated. The only difference between the key
    combinations CTRL+D and CTRL+F is that CTRL+D only matches directory names
    and CTRL+F matches both file and directory names. If you use file and
    directory name completion on any of the built-in directory commands (that is,
    CD, MD, or RD), directory completion is assumed.

    File and directory name completion correctly processes file names that
    contain white space or special characters if you place quotation marks around
    the matching path.

    The following special characters require quotation marks: & < > [ ] { } ^ =
    ; ! ' + , ` ~ [white space]

    If the information that you supply contains spaces, use quotation marks
    around the text (for example, "Computer Name").

    If you process file and directory name completion from within string, any
    part of the [Path] to the right of the cursor is discarded (that is, at the
    point in string where the completion was processed).

    Formatting legend
    Format Meaning
    Italic Information that the user must supply
    Bold Elements that the user must type exactly as shown
    Ellipsis (...) Parameter that can be repeated several times in a command line
    Between brackets ([]) Optional items
    Between braces ({}); choices separated by pipe (|). Example: {even|odd} Set
    of choices from which the user must choose only one
    Courier font Code or program output

    DirDisplays a list of a directory's files and subdirectories. Used without
    parameters, dir displays the disk's volume label and serial number, followed
    by a list of directories and files on the disk, including their names and the
    date and time each was last modified. For files, dir displays the name
    extension and the size in bytes. Dir also displays the total number of files
    and directories listed, their cumulative size, and the free space (in bytes)
    remaining on the disk.

    Syntax
    dir [Drive:][Path][FileName] [...] [/p] [/q] [/w] [/d]
    [/a[[:]attributes]][/o[[:]SortOrder]] [/t[[:]TimeField]] [/s] [/b] [/l] [/n]
    [/x] [/c] [/4]

    Parameters
    [Drive:][Path]
    Specifies the drive and directory for which you want to see a listing.
    [FileName]
    Specifies a particular file or group of files for which you want to see a
    listing.
    /p
    Displays one screen of the listing at a time. To see the next screen, press
    any key on the keyboard.
    /q
    Displays file ownership information.
    /w
    Displays the listing in wide format, with as many as five file names or
    directory names on each line.
    /d
    Same as /w but files are sorted by column.
    /a [[:] attributes]
    Displays only the names of those directories and files with the attributes
    you specify. If you omit /a, dir displays the names of all files except
    hidden and system files. If you use /a without specifying attributes, dir
    displays the names of all files, including hidden and system files. The
    following list describes each of the values you can use for attributes. The
    colon ( is optional. Use any combination of these values, and do not
    separate the values with spaces. Value Description
    h Hidden files
    s System files
    d Directories
    a Files ready for archiving
    r Read-only files
    -h Files that are not hidden
    -s Files other than system files
    -d Files only (not directories)
    -a Files that have not changed since the last backup
    -r Files that are not read-only

    /o [[:]SortOrder]
    Controls the order in which dir sorts and displays directory names and file
    names. If you omit /o, dir displays the names in the order in which they
    occur in the directory. If you use /o without specifying SortOrder, dir
    displays the names of the directories, sorted in alphabetic order, and then
    displays the names of files, sorted in alphabetic order. The colon ( is
    optional. The following list describes each of the values you can use for
    SortOrder. Use any combination of the values, and do not separate these
    values with white spaces. Value Description
    n In alphabetic order by name
    e In alphabetic order by extension
    d By date and time, earliest first
    s By size, smallest first
    g With directories grouped before files
    -n In reverse alphabetic order by name (Z through A)
    -e In reverse alphabetic order by extension (.ZZZ through .AAA)
    -d By date and time, latest first
    -s By size, largest first
    -g With directories grouped after files

    /t [[:]TimeField]
    Specifies which time field to display or use for sorting. The following list
    describes each of the values you can use for TimeField. Value Description
    c Creation
    a Last access
    w Last written

    /s
    Lists every occurrence, in the specified directory and all subdirectories,
    of the specified file name.
    /b
    Lists each directory name or file name, one per line, including the file
    name extension. /b does not display heading information or a summary. /b
    overrides /w.
    /l
    Displays unsorted directory names and file names in lowercase. /l does not
    convert extended characters to lowercase.
    /n
    Displays a long list format with file names on the far right of the screen.
    /x
    Displays the short names generated for files on NTFS and FAT volumes. The
    display is the same as the display for /n, but short names are displayed
    after the long name.
    /c
    Displays the thousand separator in file sizes.
    /4
    Displays four-digit year format.
    /?
    Displays help at the command prompt.
    Remarks
    Using multiple filenames
    You can use multiple filenames. Separate file names with spaces, commas, or
    semicolons. You can use wildcard characters (that is, ? and *) in FileName to
    display a group of files.

    Using wildcards
    You can use wildcards (that is, ? and *) to display a list of a subset of
    files and subdirectories.

    Specifying file display attributes
    If you use /a with more than one value in attributes, dir displays the names
    of only those files with all the specified attributes. For example, if you
    use /a with r and -h for attributes by using either /a:r-h or /ar-h, dir
    displays only the names of read-only files that are not hidden.

    Specifying file name sorting
    If you specify more than one SortOrder value, dir sorts the file names by
    the first criterion first, then by the second criterion, and so on. For
    example, if you use /o with the e and -s values for SortOrder by using either
    /o:e-s or /oe-s, dir sorts the names of directories and files by extension,
    with the largest first, and then displays the final result. The alphabetic
    sorting by extension causes file names with no extensions to appear first,
    then directory names, and then file names with extensions.

    Using redirection symbols and pipes
    When you use a redirection symbol (>) to send dir output to a file or a pipe
    (|) to send dir output to another command, use /a:-d and /b to list the file
    names only. You can use FileName with /b and /s to specify that dir is to
    search the current directory and its subdirectories for all file names that
    match FileName. Dir lists only the drive letter, directory name, file name,
    and file name extension, one path per line, for each file name it finds.
    Before you use a pipe for redirection, you should set the TEMP environment
    variable in your Autoexec.nt file.

    Presetting dir parameters
    You can preset dir parameters by including set with the DIRCMD environment
    variable in your Autoexec.nt file. You can use any valid combination of dir
    parameters with set dircmd, including the location and name of a file.

    For example, to use the DIRCMD environment variable to set the wide display
    format (that is, /w) as the default format, type the following command in
    your Autoexec.nt file:

    set dircmd=/w

    For a single use of the dir command, you can override a parameter by using
    the DIRCMD environment variable. To do so, type the parameter that you want
    to override at the dir command prompt, preceding the parameter with a minus
    sign. For example:

    dir /-w

    To change the DIRCMD default settings, type:

    set=NewParameter

    The new default settings are effective for all subsequent dir commands until
    you use set dircmd again or until you restart your computer.

    To clear all default settings, type:

    set dircmd=

    To view the current settings of the DIRCMD environment variable, type:

    set

    Set displays a list of environment variables and their settings. For more
    information about setting environment variables, see Related Topics.

    The dir command, with different parameters, is available from the Recovery
    Console.
    Examples
    To display all directories, one after the other, in alphabetical order, in
    wide format and pausing after each screen, make sure that the root directory
    is the current directory, and then type:

    dir /s/w/o/p

    Dir lists the name of the root directory, the names of the subdirectories of
    the root directory, and the names of the files in the root directory,
    including extensions. Then, dir lists the subdirectory names and file names
    in each subdirectory in the tree.

    To alter the preceding example so that dir displays the file names and
    extensions, but omits the directory names, type:

    dir /s/w/o/p/a:-d

    To print a directory listing, type:

    ir > prn

    When you specify prn, the directory list is sent to the printer attached to
    the LPT1 port. If your printer is attached to a different port, you must
    replace prn with the name of the correct port.

    You can also redirect output of the dir command to a file by replacing prn
    with a file name. You can also type a path. For example, to direct dir output
    to the file Dir.doc in the Records directory, type:

    dir > \records\dir.doc

    If Dir.doc does not exist, dir creates it, unless the Records directory does
    not exist. In that case, the following message appears:

    File creation error

    To display a list of all the file names with the .txt extension in all
    directories on drive C, type:

    dir c:\*.txt /w/o/s/p

    Dir displays, in wide format, an alphabetized list of the matching file
    names in each directory and pauses each time the screen fills up, until you
    press a key to continue.

    Formatting legend
    Format Meaning
    Italic Information that the user must supply
    Bold Elements that the user must type exactly as shown
    Ellipsis (...) Parameter that can be repeated several times in a command line
    Between brackets ([]) Optional items
    Between braces ({}); choices separated by pipe (|). Example: {even|odd} Set
    of choices from which the user must choose only one
    Courier font Code or program output

    Using command redirection operatorsYou can use redirection operators to
    redirect command input and output streams from the default locations to
    different locations. The input or output stream location is referred to as a
    handle.

    The following table lists operators that you can use to redirect command
    input and output streams.

    Redirection operator Description
    > Writes the command output to a file or a device, such as a printer, instead of the Command Prompt window.

    < Reads the command input from a file, instead of reading input from the
    keyboard.
    >> Appends the command output to the end of a file without deleting the information that is already in the file.

    >& Writes the output from one handle to the input of another handle.

    <& Reads the input from one handle and writes it to the output of another
    handle.
    | Reads the output from one command and writes it to the input of another
    command. Also known as a pipe.

    By default, you send the command input (that is, the STDIN handle) from your
    keyboard to Cmd.exe, and then Cmd.exe sends the command output (that is, the
    STDOUT handle) to the Command Prompt window.

    The following table lists the available handles.

    Handle Numeric equivalent of handle Description
    STDIN 0 Keyboard input
    STDOUT 1 Output to the Command Prompt window
    STDERR 2 Error output to the Command Prompt window
    UNDEFINED 3-9 These handles are defined individually by the application and
    are specific to each tool.

    The numbers zero through nine (that is, 0-9) represent the first 10 handles.
    You can use Cmd.exe to run a program and redirect any of the first 10 handles
    for the program. To specify which handle you want to use, type the number of
    the handle before the redirection operator. If you do not define a handle,
    the default < redirection input operator is zero (0) and the default >
    redirection output operator is one (1). After you type the < or > operator,
    you must specify where you want to read or write the data. You can specify a
    file name or another existing handle.

    To specify redirection to existing handles, use the ampersand (&) character
    followed by the handle number that you want to redirect (that is, &handle#).
    For example, the following command redirects handle 2 (that is, STDERR) into
    handle 1 (that is, STDOUT):

    1<&2

    Duplicating handles
    The & redirection operator duplicates output or input from one specified
    handle to another specified handle. For example, to send dir output to
    File.txt and send the error output to File.txt, type:

    dir>c:\file.txt 2>&1

    When you duplicate a handle, you duplicate all characteristics of the
    original occurrence of the handle. For example, if a handle has write-only
    access, all duplicates of that handle have write-only access. You cannot
    duplicate a handle with read-only access into a handle with write-only access.

    Redirecting command input (<)
    To redirect command input from the keyboard to a file or device, use the <
    operator. For example, to get the command input for the sort command from
    File.txt:

    sort<file.txt

    The contents of File.txt appear in the Command Prompt window as an
    alphabetized list.

    The < operator opens the specified file name with read-only access. As a
    result, you cannot write to the file when you use this operator. For example,
    if you start a program with <&2, all attempts to read handle 0 fail because
    handle 2 is initially opened with write-only access.

    Note

    Zero is the default handle for the < redirection input operator.
    Redirecting command output (>)
    Almost all commands send output to your Command Prompt window. Even commands
    that send output to a drive or printer display messages and prompts in the
    Command Prompt window.

    To redirect command output from the Command Prompt window to a file or
    device, use the > operator. You can use this operator with most commands. For
    example, to redirect dir output to Dirlist.txt:

    dir>dirlist.txt

    If Dirlist.txt does not exist, Cmd.exe creates it. If Dirlist.txt exists,
    Cmd.exe replaces the information in the file with the output from the dir
    command.

    To run the netsh routing dump command and then send the command output to
    Route.cfg, type:

    netsh routing dump>c:\route.cfg

    The > operator opens the specified file with write-only access. As a result,
    you cannot read the file when you use this operator. For example, if you
    start a program with redirection >&0, all attempts to write handle 1 fail
    because handle 0 is initially opened with read-only access.

    Note

    One is the default handle for the > redirection output operator.
    Using the <& operator to redirect input and duplicate
    To use the redirection input operator <&, the file you specify must already
    exist. If the input file exists, Cmd.exe opens it as read-only and sends the
    characters contained in the file as input to the command as if they were
    input from the keyboard. If you specify a handle, Cmd.exe duplicates the
    handle you specify onto the existing handle in the system.

    For example, to open File.txt as input read to handle 0 (that is, STDIN),
    type:

    <file.txt

    To open File.txt, sort the contents and then send the output to the Command
    Prompt window (that is, STDOUT), type:

    sort<file.txt

    To find File.txt, and then redirect handle 1 (that is, STDOUT) and handle 2
    (that is, STDERR) to the Search.txt, type:

    findfile file.txt>search.txt 2<&1

    To duplicate a user-defined handle 3 as input read to handle 0 (that is,
    STDIN), type:

    <&3

    Using the >& operator to redirect output and duplicate
    If you redirect output to a file and you specify an existing file name,
    Cmd.exe opens the file as write-only and overwrites the file's contents. If
    you specify a handle, Cmd.exe duplicates the file onto the existing handle.

    To duplicate a user-defined handle 3 into handle 1, type:

    >&3

    To redirect all of the output, including handle 2 (that is, STDERR), from
    the ipconfig command to handle 1 (that is, STDOUT), and then redirect the
    ouput to Output.log, type:

    ipconfig.exe>>output.log 2>&1

    Using the >> redirection operator to append output
    To add the output from a command to the end of a file without losing any of
    the information already in the file, use two consecutive greater than signs
    (that is, >>). For example, the following command appends the directory list
    produced by the dir command to the Dirlist.txt file:

    dir>>dirlist.txt

    To append the output of the netstat command to the end of Tcpinfo.txt, type:

    netstat>>tcpinfo.txt

    Using the pipe operator (|)
    The pipe operator (|) takes the output (by default, STDOUT) of one command
    and directs it into the input (by default, STDIN) of another command. For
    example, the following command sorts a directory:

    dir | sort

    In this example, both commands start simultaneously, but then the sort
    command pauses until it receives the dir command's output. The sort command
    uses the dir command's output as its input, and then sends its output to
    handle 1 (that is, STDOUT).

    Combining commands with redirection operators
    You can create custom commands by combining filter commands with other
    commands and file names. For example, you can use the following command to
    store the names of files that contain the string "LOG":

    dir /b | find "LOG" > loglist.txt

    The dir command's output is sent through the find filter command. File names
    that contain the string "LOG" are stored as a list of file names (for
    example, NetshConfig.log, Logdat.svd, and Mylog.bat) in the Loglist.txt file.

    To use more than one filter in the same command, separate the filters with a
    pipe (|). For example, the following command searches every directory on
    drive C:, finds the file names that include the string "Log", and then
    displays them in one Command Prompt window at a time:

    dir c:\ /s /b | find "LOG" | more

    By using a pipe (|), you direct Cmd.exe to send the dir command output
    through the find filter command. The find command selects only file names
    that contain the string "LOG." The more command displays the file names that
    are selected by the find command, one Command Prompt window at a time. For
    more information about filter commands, see Using filters.

    ShellSpecifies the name and location of an alternate command interpreter you
    want Windows XP to use for the MS-DOS subsystem.

    Syntax
    shell=[[Drive:]Path] FileName [parameters]

    Parameters
    [[Drive:]Path] FileName
    Specifies the location and name of the command interpreter.
    parameters
    Specifies any command-line parameters or command-line options that can be
    used with the specified command interpreter.
    /?
    Displays help at the command prompt.
    Remarks
    Default setting
    By default, the MS-DOS subsystem uses a special version of Command.com that
    works seamlessly with the other Windows XP subsystems (including piping and
    redirection between subsystems); therefore, the shell command is unnecessary.

    Specifying a 16-bit command interpreter
    Although it is not recommended, you can use the shell command to specify
    your own 16-bit command interpreter.

    Using command-line options with a command interpreter
    The shell command itself does not accept any command-line options, but if
    the command interpreter does, you can include them on the shell command line.

    Examples
    Suppose the file Newshell.com is in the /Bin directory on your startup
    drive, and you want to use Newshell.com as your command interpreter. To do
    this, add the following command to your Config.nt file:

    shell=\bin\newshell.com

    --
    Self taught user of Access 97 – 2003 with 7 years of experience with is part
    of 20 years of overall database experience. I'm still learning.

  6. #6

    Re: VBA routine (101)