Consolidate data from several worksheets via pivot table

  1. #1
    mthatt
    Guest

    Consolidate data from several worksheets via pivot table

    I'm not sure this is possible, but no harm in asking :o)

    I have several workbooks in one folder that I need to consolidate via a
    pivot table in a separate workbook. The workbooks all contains one sheet for
    typing in data, one sheet with result-data and all are created on the same
    template.

    My questions are:

    1. If I add a new workbook in the folder, how do I update the pivot table?
    2. Is it possible (maybe via a macro) to create the pivot table so that it
    gets data from all the workbooks in a fixed folder and so that if a workbook
    is added, it automatically updates?

    Alternative I may need to implement all the type-in sheets in one workbook
    for consolidating.

    3. If I implement all the type-in sheets in one workbook for consolidating,
    is it possible automatically updates the pivot table (or. functions) in the
    same workbook?

    Hope someone out there have some answers or suggestions :o)

  2. #2
    Carlos Lozano
    Guest

    RE: Consolidate data from several worksheets via pivot table

    Hi, Find answers in lines below.

    "mthatt" wrote:

    > I'm not sure this is possible, but no harm in asking :o)
    >
    > I have several workbooks in one folder that I need to consolidate via a
    > pivot table in a separate workbook. The workbooks all contains one sheet for
    > typing in data, one sheet with result-data and all are created on the same
    > template.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1. If I add a new workbook in the folder, how do I update the pivot table?

    customize the pivotTable object as below.
    ActiveSheet.PivotTableWizard xlDatabase, Range("A1:C100")

    > 2. Is it possible (maybe via a macro) to create the pivot table so that it
    > gets data from all the workbooks in a fixed folder and so that if a workbook
    > is added, it automatically updates?

    It can be done if all workbooks have same format. You can check the date of
    the workbooks to find the new additions or having a list of workbooks in a
    text file.
    You access the files in a folder as follows:

    Sub ShowFolderList(folderspec)
    Dim fs, f, f1, fc, s
    Set f = fs.GetFolder(folderspec)
    Set fc = f.Files
    For Each f1 in fc
    s = s & f1.name
    s = s & vbCrLf
    Next
    MsgBox s
    End Sub

    Then add the code to modify the pivot table to include the new workbooks.

    > Alternative I may need to implement all the type-in sheets in one workbook
    > for consolidating.
    >
    > 3. If I implement all the type-in sheets in one workbook for consolidating,
    > is it possible automatically updates the pivot table (or. functions) in the
    > same workbook?

    You can create macros to execute at specific user action (ie. clicking a
    button, etc) or Excel event (opening or closing workbooks, etc).

    > Hope someone out there have some answers or suggestions :o)

    The answer to your questions is yes there are ways to implement what you
    need, but sometimes the solution is not straight forward. It will require
    research and imagination.

    Carlos Lozano
    www.caxonline.net

  3. #3
    mthatt
    Guest

    RE: Consolidate data from several worksheets via pivot table

    Hi Carlos

    Im not sure how to implement the code.

    I've put the folderlist-code in the consolidated woorkbook, where my pivot
    also is. How do i get the pivot automatically to grab the filename and get
    the datas from the seperat woorkbokks i the specific folder?

    All the seperate woorkbooks is in same format and the datarange to be
    consolidatede are all called "data".

    As you describe it sounds fairly simple, but im still at novice i vba, so
    could you please be a bit more specific :o)

    Thanks.

    Michael