Creating a "Smart" Autoshape

  1. #1
    Stan
    Guest

    Creating a "Smart" Autoshape

    I am using an Excel file to manually display the overall status of
    multiple projects. I have defined 6 Phases that is common to all the
    projects, each project is a separate row in the spreadsheet and by
    stretching a Rectangle Autoshape on each row I can easily give a visual
    presentation of each project status. What I would like to do is add a
    bit of intelligence to the auto shape - storing 6 separate strings of
    text that I can display when double clicking on the status bar for a
    given project. The data is static, by this it is simple text, no formulas.

    While this is not a normal use for Excel it is simple and easy to share
    with others. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

    Stan

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Creating a "Smart" Autoshape

    Instead of using AutoShapes and TextBoxes, you could enter the text in
    cells. Then, use Conditional Formatting to colour the cells, and display
    the text, when appropriate.

    There are instructions for conditional formatting in Excel's Help, and here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Creating a "Smart" Autoshape

    Stan,

    Place the following code in a regular module then right-click
    one of your auto shapes and assign the code to it.
    (click the shape to display text, click it again to remove text)

    '-------------------------------------
    Sub DisplayProjectStatus()
    Dim strName As String
    strName = Application.Caller
    With ActiveSheet.Shapes(strName).TextFrame.Characters
    If Len(.Text) Then
    .Text = vbNullString
    Else
    .Text = "On Shedule"
    End If
    End With
    End Sub
    '-------------------------------------

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Stan

    Jim Cone wrote:
    > Stan,
    >
    > Place the following code in a regular module then right-click
    > one of your auto shapes and assign the code to it.
    > (click the shape to display text, click it again to remove text)
    >
    > '-------------------------------------
    > Sub DisplayProjectStatus()
    > Dim strName As String
    > strName = Application.Caller
    > With ActiveSheet.Shapes(strName).TextFrame.Characters
    > If Len(.Text) Then
    > .Text = vbNullString
    > Else
    > .Text = "On Shedule"
    > End If
    > End With
    > End Sub
    > '-------------------------------------
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jim Cone
    > San Francisco, USA
    >

    > "Stan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I am using an Excel file to manually display the overall status of
    >>multiple projects. I have defined 6 Phases that is common to all the
    >>projects, each project is a separate row in the spreadsheet and by
    >>stretching a Rectangle Autoshape on each row I can easily give a visual
    >>presentation of each project status. What I would like to do is add a
    >>bit of intelligence to the auto shape - storing 6 separate strings of
    >>text that I can display when double clicking on the status bar for a
    >>given project. The data is static, by this it is simple text, no formulas.
    >>While this is not a normal use for Excel it is simple and easy to share
    >>with others. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
    >>Stan

    Jim

    This was great. Thanks for the help.

    Stan