GetOpenFileName method different in Excel xp/2003 from Excel 2000.

  1. #1

    GetOpenFileName method different in Excel xp/2003 from Excel 2000.

    in Excel 2000, using the GetOpenFileName method you can include a FileFilter
    (the first argument) such as *.something.extension and the dialog box would
    show those files.

    Starting in Excel XP that does not work in code anymore. You can physically
    type that into the dialog box under "File name" and it will work but when it
    is set in code it will only recognize *.extension.

    Is this a design change or a bug?

    Sample code:
    ----------------
    FileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Sample Files (*.test.txt),
    *.test.txt")
    ----------------
    This will not show a file named First.test.txt in Excel XP/2003 but the same
    code will show the file in Excel 2000.

    Ryan

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: GetOpenFileName method different in Excel xp/2003 from Excel 2000.

    I have never tried it, but I wouldn't expect that to work in any version of
    excel. If it does, then I guess that is a happy dance. the only thing
    stated to work it so limit files based on the extension.

    In xl2002 and later you could use the filedialog object to do what you
    describe I would think.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: GetOpenFileName method different in Excel xp/2003 from Excel 2000.

    It's a case of failing memory <g>. What you describe has never worked in any
    version of Excel that I've used. I've missed it, too.

  4. #4

    Re: GetOpenFileName method different in Excel xp/2003 from Excel 2

    It does work in Excel 2000. I just tried it today.

    Ryan