Open excel file, enter values, save & close

  1. #1
    JCanyoneer
    Guest

    Open excel file, enter values, save & close

    I would like to write a macro that will open a designated excel file, (really
    doesn't have to open it visibly, I just need to be able to insert items in
    the next empy row) Order Form.xls, find the first empty row, insert values in
    certain cells in that row based on values from the excel file that called the
    macro, save the Order Form.xls file, close (if opened) and return to the
    original excel worksheet. I have a function currently that does something
    similar into an access file. Are the methods similar?

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Open excel file, enter values, save & close

    Do you mean this
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm

    See the example
    "Example If the Database sheet is in another workbook"

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    JCanyoneer
    Guest

    Re: Open excel file, enter values, save & close

    Not really,
    I have a workbook open (call it OrderForm1). On Sheet 1 of this work book
    I would like to have a button which will run code to:
    Open c:\Tracker.xls
    Put the value of cell B5 from Order1 in cell A2 on Tracker
    Save the Tracker file
    Close the Tracker file

    I have written code but it doesn't work. I am doing this with mutiple cells
    so the code is fairly long but the above gives the jist of what I'm trying to
    do.
    Both files are excel, one is currently open and the other is not.

  4. #4
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Open excel file, enter values, save & close

    Hi JCanyoneer

    My example is doing this
    What have you try ?

  5. #5
    JCanyoneer
    Guest

    Re: Open excel file, enter values, save & close

    It works perfect. Sorry, I just opend the link without reading which part you
    suggested I look at. I was also looking for ADO code (just to make it similar
    to database access I am currently using), so I just skimmed the link. Played
    with it this morning and it all works awesome. Thank you!

  6. #6
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Open excel file, enter values, save & close

    Thanks for the feedback