Is this possible...Filter list after user selects location

  1. #1
    Jan
    Guest

    Is this possible...Filter list after user selects location

    Is this possible? I am using Excel 2003.

    I have a list of all customers on worksheet named, Customers. Besides
    listing customer demographics, it also includes a column to show which
    company site services the customer.

    The company needs to obtain further information regarding customers, which
    is not demographic info. The company sites will enter this information. I
    would like to have another worksheet for this purpose (I will name the
    worksheet, OnCall Info). I will sent up columns to collect specific
    information. I will include a column with data validation (list) for sites
    to select customers from a drop down list (named range on customer
    worksheet).

    Since the company has over five-hundred customers, is it possible to filter
    the drop down list based on the site selecting their location from a drop
    down list (named worksheet range). I'm thinking I would have to require the
    sites to select their location from a drop down list in a single cell on the
    worksheet, OnCall Info. But how would I have the customer list show only
    customers for that company site?

    I don't have much experience with VBA. So if the above request would
    require that, I would need help with writing the code.

    TIA

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Is this possible...Filter list after user selects location

    Hi jan

    check out http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html on using dependent
    data validation lists to see if this will meet your needs.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jan
    Guest

    Re: Is this possible...Filter list after user selects location

    Julie,
    I checked out the site and reviewed the examples. However, the examples
    make sense for the data examples it shows; Short lists with a few
    alternatives based on what was selected initially. Based on the example, I
    would have to create separate lists for each site's customers.

    I already have a worksheet to use as data validation for company site.
    My customer list is contiguious and contains over 500 customers; the company
    site is listed more than once; list is sorted by company site and customer
    name. Columns for customer list are: company site, bu, customer name,
    address....., i.e.

    Wichita, 45014, ABC, 123 uphill
    Omaha, 45144, XYZ, 987 downhill

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Is this possible...Filter list after user selects location

    Assuming the list is always sorted by company site, you can create the
    dependent list by using an OFFSET formula in the data validation source.
    For example:

    =OFFSET($B$2,MATCH(E3,$A$2:$A$2000,0)-1,0,COUNTIF($A$2:$A$2000,E3),1)

    There's a sample file here:

    Under Data Validation, look for 'Dependent Cell List Offset'

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List