linking cells in multiple workbooks

  1. #1
    sherobot
    Guest

    linking cells in multiple workbooks

    I want to type in certain cells on 5 different worksheets in one workbook;
    and have that same data appear in 6 other workbooks. So I don't have to
    retype or copy and paste the data in the other workbooks. Is there a way to
    do this with a macro or some other linking feature in excel?

    Hope this is clear thank you

  2. #2
    Richard Reye
    Guest

    RE: linking cells in multiple workbooks

    You can simply add the filepath & file to your cell reference like this

    ='C:\MyFilePath\[MyExcelFile]Sheet1'!$A$1

    This will create a link to this workbook. I believe the workbook that the
    link is directed to has to be open to update the reference.

    Alternatively, you could search this website for a built-in function being
    developed called INDIRECT2 which will allow you to reference cells that will
    update automatically without having the source spreadsheet open

    Cheers!

    Richard Reye

  3. #3
    Richard Reye
    Guest

    RE: linking cells in multiple workbooks

    Correction.

    I forgot to add the website that is developing INDIRECT2.

    Go to http://xcell05.free.fr/

    Cheers!

  4. #4
    sherobot
    Guest

    RE: linking cells in multiple workbooks

    Thanks Richard that works good for one workbook in one cell. Do you know how
    I would code it for multiple workbooks to cover multiple cells? I tried to
    put more than one workbook inside the brackets and it kept giving me errors.

    sherobot