Look up function-How can I return a value in a table

  1. #1
    Stacy Haskins
    Guest

    Look up function-How can I return a value in a table

    How can I return a value in a table if the lookup value is in a range equal
    to or between two other columns? I would prefer not to create a macro for
    this. Is there a combination of built in funtions that would work?

    Example:
    Look up Payclaim letter in column 1 for the date July 1st.

    A B C
    1 Pay Claim Letter Start Date End Date
    2 A Jul 1 Apr 3
    3 B Apr 4 Mar 25
    4 C Mar 26 June 30

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    re: Look up function-How can I return a value in a table

    Use the match function on column B for descending data

    See help in Excel on the match function. (combine with Index to get the
    value from column A).

    =INDEX(A1:A3,MATCH(E2,B1:B3,-1),1)

    you would need real dates in column B and for the lookup value.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...