Changing Named Ranges

  1. #1
    Chris Adams
    Guest

    Changing Named Ranges

    Hi all,

    I have taken over and enhanced an Excel application. It was quite
    untidy and I have been trying to clean it up to make it easier to read
    for someone else doing future development.

    One of the things I would like to do is clean up the convention for
    named ranges. The workbook is full of names (approx. 100), most of
    which are not easily identified where they come from, although I know
    I can use name utilities to identify them (and many thanks to Rob
    Bovey, Jan Karel Pieterse, and Charles Williams for their excellent
    utilities). But I would like to make the names more easily
    recognisable.

    To give an example, I would like to use a convention "input_Name" for
    named ranges on the input pages, or "summary_Name" for named ranges on
    the summary page. (Incidentally, I'm just guessing this is best
    practice?)

    However, there seems to be no easy way to go through and bulk change
    the names, AND make sure the references in the spreadsheet are changed
    (and of course there are references in VBA). Instead of just being
    able to alter the name, it seems I have to:

    • add a new name
    • go through the workbook and do a find/replace (checking each one to
    make sure its the correct name to change - eg. the name input_location
    vs. a title "Location")
    • delete the old name
    • go through the VBA and do a find/replace (once again checking each
    occurrence)

    Can anyone advise if there is such a way to more easily enable these
    changes? I would have thought that it should be a simple matter to
    change the names (at least in the spreadsheets), but I can't find any
    such method.

    Many thanks for any advice,
    Chris Adams

  2. #2
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Guest

    Re: Changing Named Ranges

    Hi Chris,

    > Instead of just being
    > able to alter the name, it seems I have to:
    >
    > • add a new name
    > • go through the workbook and do a find/replace (checking each one to
    > make sure its the correct name to change - eg. the name input_location
    > vs. a title "Location")
    > • delete the old name
    > • go through the VBA and do a find/replace (once again checking each
    > occurrence)

    I'm afraid that is the only way right now. Charles Williams has been
    working on a renaming routine for our Name Manager, but as you can
    imagine this is rather complex material, especially when doing it in
    slow business hours <g>.

    I would use the Name Manager in combination with my Flexfind to get this
    job done.

    You may find the "List" and Pick up" feature of the NM very useful to
    quickly create the new names:

    1. Click the list button
    2. Close the name manager and go to the new list
    3. Edit each name's name to create a new name with the same RefersTo
    string (better yet, first copy the entire table downwards and edit the
    copied rows so you have overview of the old and new situation)
    4. Start Name Manager and hit the Pick-up button and follow instructions
    to add the new names.

    Now you have the names named as you need them and have to start finding
    and replacing them. I'd create a two-column table first, listing old and
    new names next to each other to keep track.
    Then I'd use Flexfind to do the S&R, because it enables:

    1. S&R in all (well, as far as I know) objects
    2. Single entry confirmation within each formula.

    Regards,

    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP
    http://www.jkp-ads.com

  3. #3
    Chris Adams
    Guest

    Re: Changing Named Ranges

    Jan,

    Many thanks for the reply. Yes, I can believe the complexity of
    Charles' task .

    I have just tried Flexfind - a powerful little utility. Really useful
    indeed, and complements the Name Manager exceptionally well. I'm
    following your advice below and its working quite well considering the
    task.

    Many thanks again for your advice and especially the utilities - very
    much appreciated.

    Kind regards,
    Chris Adams

  4. #4
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Guest

    Re: Changing Named Ranges

    Hi Chris,

    > I have just tried Flexfind - a powerful little utility. Really useful
    > indeed, and complements the Name Manager exceptionally well. I'm
    > following your advice below and its working quite well considering the
    > task.

    Thanks for the compliments.

    > Many thanks again for your advice and especially the utilities - very
    > much appreciated.

    No thanks!

    Regards,

    Jan Karel Pieterse