Excel NETWORKDAYS - incorrect results

  1. #1
    Patricia
    Guest

    Excel NETWORKDAYS - incorrect results

    Why does NETWORKDAYS add 1 to positive results and subtracts 1 from negative
    results? Please see example below:

    Agreed Date Actual Date Variance Calculated Should be
    (Bus
    Days)

    31/08/2004 13/08/2004 13 12
    31/08/2004 28/09/2004 -21 -20

    Does anyone know how to get around this? I have tried the IF function, to no
    avail.

  2. #2
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: Excel NETWORKDAYS - incorrect results

    That depends on your reasoning:

    Networkdays includes both the start date end the end date.
    so 13 and (-)21 are correct, see:

    13-08-04 Fri 1
    14-08-04 Sat
    15-08-04 Sun
    16-08-04 Mon 1
    17-08-04 Tue 1
    18-08-04 Wed 1
    19-08-04 Thu 1
    20-08-04 Fri 1
    21-08-04 Sat
    22-08-04 Sun
    23-08-04 Mon 1
    24-08-04 Tue 1
    25-08-04 Wed 1
    26-08-04 Thu 1
    27-08-04 Fri 1
    28-08-04 Sat
    29-08-04 Sun
    30-08-04 Mon 1
    31-08-04 Tue 1 1
    01-09-04 Wed 1
    02-09-04 Thu 1
    03-09-04 Fri 1
    04-09-04 Sat
    05-09-04 Sun
    06-09-04 Mon 1
    07-09-04 Tue 1
    08-09-04 Wed 1
    09-09-04 Thu 1
    10-09-04 Fri 1
    11-09-04 Sat
    12-09-04 Sun
    13-09-04 Mon 1
    14-09-04 Tue 1
    15-09-04 Wed 1
    16-09-04 Thu 1
    17-09-04 Fri 1
    18-09-04 Sat
    19-09-04 Sun
    20-09-04 Mon 1
    21-09-04 Tue 1
    22-09-04 Wed 1
    23-09-04 Thu 1
    24-09-04 Fri 1
    25-09-04 Sat
    26-09-04 Sun
    27-09-04 Mon 1
    28-09-04 Tue 1

    13 21

    --
    keepITcool

  3. #3
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Excel NETWORKDAYS - incorrect results

    This function is inclusive on both ends. So adjust your formula to exclude
    whichever day you want, i.e. with start date in A1 and end date in B1, if you
    want to exclude the end date, it's =NETWORKDAYS(A1,B1-1); to exclude the
    starting date, =NETWORKDAYS(A1+1,B1)