How to make the column in the excel file as read-only?

  1. #1
    Manu
    Guest

    How to make the column in the excel file as read-only?

    I am handling an excel file as an input. And i want to make the 2nd column in
    that file as input only. How do i make it?

  2. #2
    highlight the column you wish to lock
    In the tools menu click
    <--format cells
    click the protections tab
    select locked
    Then, you will need to lock or "protect" the sheet, click the tools menu <---protection <--- protect worksheet

    Note: protecting the sheet protects all cells, as default all cells are locked (at least i'm pretty sure ) so you will need to unprotect all cells that you will be using as input cells. to do that follow the same procedure as above but instead of selecting lock, unselect it. Hope that helps
    Last edited by justchris; 04-22-2005 at 11:50 AM.

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How to make the column in the excel file as read-only?

    What do you mean as input only?
    Do you mean that no one can enter a formula into the cell, or paste into it.

    You could use an event macro and check that a change was not a formula.

    As far as pasting into it -- don't know of any way to test or prevent that.
    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    Manu
    Guest

    Re: How to make the column in the excel file as read-only?

    By Input I mean that the column must be automatically loaded by reading any
    another cell and must not allow user to alter it after that.

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How to make the column in the excel file as read-only?

    Hi Manu,
    You might consider using Conditional Formatting to color cells that meet
    you conditions for not being changed, and leave it to the user to keep out.

    Otherwise, I think you might have to do something like using and Event
    macro to unprotect the sheet, protect the cell, then protect the sheet.
    ---

  6. #6

    make it read only

    Quote Originally Posted by Manu
    I am handling an excel file as an input. And i want to make the 2nd column in
    that file as input only. How do i make it?
    Hi ;

    click "format cells"/cells/protect/locked,

    select the cells that you want to make them only entering data,

    click tools/protection/permission for users ( second line), then click "new"/"OK" on the dialog box/OK/OK

    click Tools/Protection/Protect worksheet/ Write your secret code and click "OK" then rewrite your same secret code new dialog box then "OK"

    NOT: pls. do not forget your secret code that you wrote.

    sencerely

    Selami Güzel

    [email protected]