INSERTING A PICTURE ON WORKSHEET

  1. #1
    Glenn
    Guest

    INSERTING A PICTURE ON WORKSHEET

    I have built a worksheet the has a macro list. I want to be able to insert a
    picture/clipart into another worksheet ,in the same workbook, depending on
    what was selected from the dropdown list. I want this clipart to be selected
    automatically based on that selection. Where is the cli art kept, in another
    workeheet? I have had responces from others but two were way over my head
    and the other was to have the user to select the clipart manually???

    Let say that in worksheet 1 that the drop down list selection was farming.
    Based on that farming selection worksheet 2 would have, among other things,
    the clipart of a barn automatically incerted in a selected spot and selected
    size.

    You guys have been a big help for me and I want you to lknow I really
    appreciate your help.
    Glenn

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: INSERTING A PICTURE ON WORKSHEET

    clip art can be in a file outside Excel, or you can manually insert it on
    another sheet and then just copy it to the needed location. In the second
    instance, it would be stored within the workbook file. In the first, you
    would have to distribute the clip art files with the workbook

    If you go to the menu

    Tools=>Macro=>Record a New Macro,
    then perform you actions manually, it will record the code you need to use.

    When done performing the action, go to Tools=>macro=>Stop Recording (or hit
    the stop recording button on the floating toolbar if it is visible).

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: INSERTING A PICTURE ON WORKSHEET

    You'll have to use VBA to do this. Check out

    Looking up and displaying pictures based on cell value
    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

    In article <[email protected]>,

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: INSERTING A PICTURE ON WORKSHEET

    A possible non-VBA solution:

    I'll assume you want the pictures to show on Sheet1.

    1)Paste a picture into a blank sheet in your workbook.
    2)Select the range of cells that contains the picture,
    3)Set the fill color of the range to White.
    4)Name that range of cells:
    Example:
    Insert>Name>Define
    Name: Farming

    5)Repeat steps 1 thru 4 for each picture (making sure that no picture ranges
    overlap)

    6)Select Sheet1 and type one of your picture range names in Cell A1.
    7)Create a dynamic range name as follows:
    Insert>Name>Define
    Name: ShowMyPic
    RefersTo: =INDIRECT(Sheet1!$A$1)

    8)Select cells A5:B10.
    9)Hold down the [Shift] key and Edit>CopyPicture
    10)Paste the picture somewhere over Cell E10.
    11)While the picture is still selected, type this in the formula bar:
    =ShowMyPic
    then press [Enter]

    The range of cells that was previously displayed should now be replaced by
    the picture referred to by the name you typed in Cell A1.

    Each time you type a different picture range name in Cell A1 the associated
    picture will appear in the picture box and resize appropriately.

    Also, you could reference a list of those picture range names in a Data
    Validation for Cell A1 so you could simply pick them from the list.

    Is that something you can work with?

    Regards,
    Ron