How to import a matrix of size 2057x2057

  1. #1
    Kiran
    Guest

    How to import a matrix of size 2057x2057

    I cannot import a text file that has 2507 rows and 2507 columns. It gave me a
    warning saying that the maximum size of matrix columns can be only 256. Is
    there a way to get around this?

    --
    Kiran
    Programmer Analyst

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: How to import a matrix of size 2057x2057

    There really is no great way around this. You are dealing with 2507 * 2507 =
    6,285,049 records which is getting outside the realm of Excel. Even if you
    could get it imported, Excel would have some difficulty manipulating that
    much data...

    HTH

  3. #3
    Franz
    Guest

    Re: How to import a matrix of size 2057x2057

    "Kiran" <[email protected]>ha scritto nel messaggio
    [email protected]

    > I cannot import a text file that has 2507 rows and 2507 columns. It
    > gave me a warning saying that the maximum size of matrix columns can
    > be only 256. Is there a way to get around this?

    Because of Excel limits (256 colums and 65536 rows), the only suggestion is:

    try using Access... :-)

    Hoping to be helpful :-)

    Regards

    --
    Franz

    To reply translate from italian InVento (no capital letters)

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How to import a matrix of size 2057x2057

    Access only supports 256 columns as I understand it.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

    --------------

  5. #5
    Franz
    Guest

    Re: How to import a matrix of size 2057x2057

    "Tom Ogilvy" <[email protected]>ha scritto nel messaggio
    [email protected]

    > Access only supports 256 columns as I understand it.

    I was quite sure that Access had only limits in the dimension of file, but
    yes now I discovered also this one...

  6. #6
    Franz
    Guest

    Re: How to import a matrix of size 2057x2057

    "Kiran" <[email protected]>ha scritto nel messaggio
    [email protected]

    > I cannot import a text file that has 2507 rows and 2507 columns. It
    > gave me a warning saying that the maximum size of matrix columns can
    > be only 256. Is there a way to get around this?

    Maybe you can try this

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272729