Password protect hidden cells

  1. #1
    kfrost
    Guest

    Password protect hidden cells

    Hello,

    I have a customer who has sale people that have product spreadsheets for
    pricing. They have wholesale and retail pricing on the same sheet. The
    wholesale prices they hide and password protect, however, the problem is you
    can open the spreadsheet in read only mode and then save a copy of it. Then
    open the saved copy and the password protection is then removed.

    I'm trying to find a way to prevent this. However in searching it appears
    that the password is pretty much insecure any way. So my thoughts are using
    MS office tools for VS and creating an Excel Project and hard coding the
    password into the document for them.

    First of all if anybody has a better suggestion on how to secure these
    hidden cells where only sales person have access to them, I would love to
    hear it. Secondly if building and compiling the app is the best way, does
    anybody have a sample for VB.Net?

    Thanks.

    kris

  2. #2
    kfrost
    Guest

    RE: Password protect hidden cells

    Update:

    What I've found is the password is staying in place. However if you select
    all the cells in the protected document and the copy them and past them into
    a different workbook. All the hidden cells are copied and displayed in the
    new work book. So it appears I'm looking for a way to disable the copy/cut
    functionality from the worksheets.

    Any ideas?

  3. #3
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Password protect hidden cells

    It's not possible. Any solution that prevents copying would rely on macros.
    But a user could thwart that by disabling macros. Excel is simply not a
    good repository of sensitive information.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    kfrost
    Guest

    Re: Password protect hidden cells

    Thanks you Jim,

    Is there something I'm missing then. Any idea as to why you can take a
    document that is password protected with hidden cells/columns or rows and
    copy the entire document to a new workbook and where all the hidden,
    "protected" cells are then displayed?

    How do you prevent this? I would assume it would be possible because if it
    wasn't why would they waste their time creating the password/proctection
    functionality.

    If not, what about building a Excel spreadsheet in Visual Studio with the
    office tool kit. Could you hard code and app to gain this functionality?

    Thanks.

    kris

  5. #5
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Password protect hidden cells

    >>Is there something I'm missing then.

    I think so. I'd say that protection in general is there to keep people from
    inadvertently mucking with your workbook. Say you set it up in a certain
    way to get information or to help users calculate a result. You hide stuff
    more as a matter of cosmetics than to keep it truly secret. It was never
    intended as security.

    Excel is Excel. If you automate an Excel workbook from another app or from
    a DLL you still have a workbook that can be opened independently and
    'explored'.

    On the other hand if the sensitive data/calculations never gets to an Excel
    workbook then that issue goes away. Say all of that was in a DLL and that
    Excel is used only as a presentation vehicle of the final results. That's
    the only answer I can think of but then you lose Excel's calculational
    power. And you have to know how to write such a DLL.

    --
    Jim
    "kfrost" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Thanks you Jim,
    |
    | Is there something I'm missing then. Any idea as to why you can take a
    | document that is password protected with hidden cells/columns or rows and
    | copy the entire document to a new workbook and where all the hidden,
    | "protected" cells are then displayed?
    |
    | How do you prevent this? I would assume it would be possible because if
    it
    | wasn't why would they waste their time creating the password/proctection
    | functionality.
    |
    | If not, what about building a Excel spreadsheet in Visual Studio with the
    | office tool kit. Could you hard code and app to gain this functionality?
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | kris
    |

    | "Jim Rech" wrote:
    |
    | > It's not possible. Any solution that prevents copying would rely on
    macros.
    | > But a user could thwart that by disabling macros. Excel is simply not a
    | > good repository of sensitive information.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Jim
    | > "kfrost" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | Update:
    | > |
    | > | What I've found is the password is staying in place. However if you
    | > select
    | > | all the cells in the protected document and the copy them and past
    them
    | > into
    | > | a different workbook. All the hidden cells are copied and displayed
    in
    | > the
    | > | new work book. So it appears I'm looking for a way to disable the
    | > copy/cut
    | > | functionality from the worksheets.
    | > |
    | > | Any ideas?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

  6. #6
    kfrost
    Guest

    Re: Password protect hidden cells

    Thanks for the input Jim, if what you say is correct then I have an issue
    with the wording of the help in Excel and the way they describe security and
    protection. With what you've stated the product doesn't live up to what is
    described in the help files. Because they talk about security/protection,
    strong passwords etc so nobody can access the protected items. But if you
    can just copy and paste to another worksheet that's a security breach or flaw.

    As a matter of fact the product should be advertised as you have mentioned
    and the word security should be removed all together from the documentation.

    Again, I appreciate your help. I'm taking this up with the Office team
    directly to get an official word before scrapping excel for something else.

    Thank you.

  7. #7
    kfrost
    Guest

    RE: Password protect hidden cells

    Hello,

    I wanted to follow up on this. I had another engineer from MS call back and
    there is a way to prevent the hidden cells or any cell for that matter from
    being copied in excel. To do so you click on Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet

    There is a list of check boxes in the Protect Sheet window under "Allow all
    users of this worksheet to:"

    Uncheck "Select locked cells" and "Select unlocked cells" and then ok. Then
    users will not be able to select any cells in the worksheet to copy or paste.

    I understand that the password technology is still lacking but for general
    users that wouldn't look for a way to hack the sheet.

  8. #8
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Password protect hidden cells