Rich Textbox

  1. #1
    M.Siler
    Guest

    Rich Textbox

    I'm wanting to add a Rich Textbox to my Excel sheet. I found this, but
    don't know what to do from here.
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/72z2h2cz(en-us,vs.80).aspx

    I have a simple textbox control on my sheet but I'd like to add some
    formatting so my thought was a Rich Textbox. If there is a different
    solution I'm open to that as well.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Rich Textbox

    Use a textbox from the Drawing toolbar. It supports richtext formatting and
    it is native to Excel.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: Rich Textbox

    Hi M-

    What you have 'found' is something called in VBA procedures, not something
    you simply draw on a spreadsheet.

    Text boxes created using the Text Box tool can be formatted just about any
    way you wish... Font, Font Size, Font Color, Text Alignment (Horizontal &
    Vertical) Fill Color, Line Color, Line Style, 3D Effects, etc. etc. etc. Just
    select the Text Box and change the settings using the Formatting & Drawing
    toolbars or right-click the text box and choose Format Text Box. You can even
    select portions of the text in the box and format it differently that the
    rest.

    If these capabilities aren't sufficient, please state what type of
    'formatting' you need to do.

    HTH |:>)

  4. #4
    M.Siler
    Guest

    Re: Rich Textbox

    Perhaps I'm not using the correct Text Box control. When I select the
    control the forumal line looks like =EMBED("Forms.TextBox.1","") Then with
    the control selected I right click and only see "Format Control..." and not
    the "Format Text Box" you referenced. I'm using Excel 2003.

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: Rich Textbox

    Hello again-

    That makes a difference - You are talking about the Text Box tool on the
    Control Toolbox toolbar, which is a completely different matter. I had the
    impression you were referring to the Text Box tool on the Drawing Toolbar.

    Let's start over... Exactly what is it that you are using it for and what
    type of formatting are you looking to 'add'?

    Regards |:>)

    On 5/4/05 12:49 PM, in article #[email protected],
    "M.Siler" wrote:

    > Perhaps I'm not using the correct Text Box control. When I select the
    > control the forumal line looks like =EMBED("Forms.TextBox.1","") Then with
    > the control selected I right click and only see "Format Control..." and not
    > the "Format Text Box" you referenced. I'm using Excel 2003.
    >
    > "CyberTaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi M-
    >>
    >> What you have 'found' is something called in VBA procedures, not something
    >> you simply draw on a spreadsheet.
    >>
    >> Text boxes created using the Text Box tool can be formatted just about any
    >> way you wish... Font, Font Size, Font Color, Text Alignment (Horizontal &
    >> Vertical) Fill Color, Line Color, Line Style, 3D Effects, etc. etc. etc.
    >> Just
    >> select the Text Box and change the settings using the Formatting & Drawing
    >> toolbars or right-click the text box and choose Format Text Box. You can
    >> even
    >> select portions of the text in the box and format it differently that the
    >> rest.
    >>
    >> If these capabilities aren't sufficient, please state what type of
    >> 'formatting' you need to do.
    >>
    >> HTH |:>)
    >>
    >> "M.Siler" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm wanting to add a Rich Textbox to my Excel sheet. I found this, but
    >>> don't know what to do from here.
    >>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/72z2h2cz(en-us,vs.80).aspx
    >>>
    >>> I have a simple textbox control on my sheet but I'd like to add some
    >>> formatting so my thought was a Rich Textbox. If there is a different
    >>> solution I'm open to that as well.

    -- [email protected]

  6. #6
    M.Siler
    Guest

    Re: Rich Textbox

    Oh, I see what you were talking about. That text box doesn't seem to have
    scroll bars.

    What I'm wanting to do is add some text (Cut-n-Paste from a web page),
    formatted nicely color, font, bold, that permits someone to scroll through
    it.

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Rich Textbox

    In the textbox from the drawing toolbar, you click in the text and use the
    arrow keys to nagivate. You don't get scroll bars although you could put
    scrollbars next to the textbox and perhaps write code to manage the
    scrolling.

  8. #8
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: Rich Textbox

    In that case, you might want to do a bit of research into Active-X Controls.
    There are literally hundreds of them and they all have their own special
    capabilities... you can even have the website actually display as a navigable
    object in your workbook. Just search the MS site or Google for Active-X.

    On the simpler side, have you considered just creating hyperlinks to the
    sites?

    Regards |:>)

  9. #9
    M.Siler
    Guest

    Re: Rich Textbox

    Yes, but sometime it might be viewed when there is no Internet connection.

    Sure would be nice if MS would make the TextBox I'm using have the
    formatting features of the Graphic TextBox.

    The one I initially asked about
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/72z2h2cz(en-us,vs.80).aspx is that
    something that would work and eveyone would have or would there have to be
    something special installed on any PC that wanted to view the workbook?