Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

  1. #1
    Mark Stephens
    Guest

    Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    I just successfully implemented Jon Peltier's highlighting lines on a chart
    modified and improved by Andy Pope. I notice that their instructions
    included the insertion of a 'class module'. I've never used one before and
    have no idea what it is really. Can someone let me know if it is something I
    should learn about? ie does it yield significanimprovements in your
    programming to use class modules?

    Thanks for your help and advice, kind regards, Mark

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    Search this groups archives on google groups for Class Modules and Pearson
    as author.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    deko
    Guest

    Re: Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    > I just successfully implemented Jon Peltier's highlighting lines on a
    chart
    > modified and improved by Andy Pope. I notice that their instructions
    > included the insertion of a 'class module'. I've never used one before and
    > have no idea what it is really. Can someone let me know if it is something

    > should learn about? ie does it yield significanimprovements in your
    > programming to use class modules?

    Class modules are used to create custom objects. Excel provides all the
    objects most people need, so rarely will you need to create you own class
    modules. Whatever you're doing with that chart must require custom
    events/properties that have been encapsulated in the inserted class module.
    The modules behind worksheets and user forms (and charts, etc) are built-in
    class modules that give you access to the events/properties of those
    objects.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    "deko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Excel provides all the
    > objects most people need, so rarely will you need to create you own class
    > modules.

    That's not true Deko. Excel provides most of the Excel objects, methods and
    properties that we need (not all!), but they provide not business function
    objects, so we need to create those. Class modules are ideal for that.

  5. #5
    deko
    Guest

    Re: Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    > > Excel provides all the
    > > objects most people need, so rarely will you need to create you own

    class
    > > modules.

    > That's not true Deko. Excel provides most of the Excel objects, methods

    and
    > properties that we need (not all!), but they provide not business function
    > objects, so we need to create those. Class modules are ideal for that.

    Perhaps I should have said "I've never had to create my own class modules."
    Out of curiosity, can you give me an example of the types of things class
    modules are typically used for? What kinds of problems can they solve?
    Perhaps I'll find somewhere to use one.

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    Personally, I'd stick with deko's analysis, since he said "most people".

    I'd guess that the fraction of users of XL that have ever used a
    non-standard object is less than 1%, and the fraction who've actually
    created a "business function object" infinitesimally smaller.

    The overwhelming majority of workbooks in the wild don't even contain a
    *formula*!

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    "deko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Perhaps I should have said "I've never had to create my own class

    modules."
    > Out of curiosity, can you give me an example of the types of things class
    > modules are typically used for? What kinds of problems can they solve?
    > Perhaps I'll find somewhere to use one.

    In the context of the point I was making, I am taking about business
    objects, such as Organisation, locations, employees, etc., or something
    along the lines of the purpose of the company, such as products, customers,
    etc. You may notice that most (all) of these suggest a plural, and the
    concept of a collection class is one of the most useful IMO.

    As an example, I created an appointment for my wife a while back, that had a
    class for the consultants, a class for the patients, and another
    appointments class (probably a few more in there besides, but I don't
    remember). One of the advantages of the class, over and above the stated
    advantages such as encapsulation, was that I could create a simple test
    harness for each class and prove it independently. Assuming my design
    worked, plugging it all together at the end was a doddle.

    Regards

    Bob

  8. #8
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    <The overwhelming majority of workbooks in the wild don't even contain a
    *formula*!>

    LOL-True!
    In the company I used to work for, a staff share option scheme was
    announced.
    A colleague of mine issued a spreadsheet with which you could calculate your
    possible profits under varying circumstances.
    There appeared to be no formula at all; it was just a template that could
    have been a paper one as well. Turned out that the colleague who had been
    using Excel for years already (working in a budgeting department) wasn't
    aware you could automate the calculations using formulas! Spreadsheet: paper
    with a columns and rows layout.

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    deko
    Guest

    Re: Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    > > Out of curiosity, can you give me an example of the types of things
    class
    > > modules are typically used for? What kinds of problems can they solve?
    > > Perhaps I'll find somewhere to use one.

    > In the context of the point I was making, I am taking about business
    > objects, such as Organisation, locations, employees, etc., or something
    > along the lines of the purpose of the company, such as products,

    customers,
    > etc. You may notice that most (all) of these suggest a plural, and the
    > concept of a collection class is one of the most useful IMO.
    >
    > As an example, I created an appointment for my wife a while back, that had

    > class for the consultants, a class for the patients, and another
    > appointments class (probably a few more in there besides, but I don't
    > remember). One of the advantages of the class, over and above the stated
    > advantages such as encapsulation, was that I could create a simple test
    > harness for each class and prove it independently. Assuming my design
    > worked, plugging it all together at the end was a doddle.

    I can think of a recent situation where I have a collection of values used
    for applying calculations, formatting, etc. I was thinking of putting all
    that stuff in a separate worksheet and having code reference the sheet and
    cell to make various user-requested changes in the other worksheets. I
    suppose I could make that into a class and let the user select options from
    a menu bar rather than monkey with that separate worksheet. But can I
    insert a class module into a workbook via automation from Access?

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Basic question - modules and class modules - what's the difference?

    You an create a class template and import it into your project.