Create a macro to move info from one column to another

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    Create a macro to move info from one column to another

    I have a list that has first names and middle intiials in the same column. I
    want to create a macro to cut the initial and the period and paste it into
    the next column over.

    I have recorded a macro that does it, once. But I don't understand how to
    get it to keep working through the whole list.

    Thanks.
    --
    John

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Create a macro to move info from one column to another

    Columns(6).Select
    ' now your code

    or

    ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Select
    ' now your code

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Create a macro to move info from one column to another

    You need to make the macro be in a "For...Next..." or "For...While..." style.
    add your recorded macro to a response and people can show you common ways of
    expanding it to be more general.

  4. #4
    John
    Guest

    Re: Create a macro to move info from one column to another

    Tom,

    Thanks, but it's the other code that I don't think works right.

    I record what I want in the A1 cell, moving to B1.

    But A2--->B2, etc. doesn't work.

    I'd like to be able to use " *." as the find sequence.

    Thanks,
    --
    John

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Create a macro to move info from one column to another

    select the entire column and do Data=>Text to Columns, selectr delimited and
    in the next dialog, select space as the delimiter (assumes no first names
    with embedded spaces).

    This should do what you want to the entire column. to get code, turn on the
    macro recorder while you do it manually.